It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Consumers who shop for lower rates will probably switch companies because there are good odds of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A survey found that drivers who compared price quotes annually saved over $860 a year as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the cheapest price on auto insurance is your goal, then learning a little about how to quote prices and compare coverage rates can help make the process easier.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find cheaper quotes for car insurance rates is to compare quotes annually from providers in Detroit. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
First, spend a few minutes and learn about policy coverages and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many rating factors that increase rates such as accidents, traffic tickets, and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from many different companies. Compare rates
Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Fourth, give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application for the new policy. Immediately upon receiving it, store the certificate verifying proof of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
One tip to remember is to make sure you enter the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get price estimates from as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures a level playing field and the best rate selection.
Discounts can help save money on Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Detroit
Some insurers do not list every discount very clearly, so the list below details a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits that may apply to you.
- Good Grades Discount – Maintaining excellent grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a course teaching driver safety skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Detroit Homeowners Discount – Just being a homeowner can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- Early Signing – Select insurance companies give a discount for switching policies early. This can save 10% or more.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying insurance on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Paperwork-free – A few insurance companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Claim Free – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can save substantially when compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Full Payment Discount – If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Accident-free drivers could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and home policy with the same company you could get a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
You can save money using discounts, but most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Large insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for defensive driver, driver training, air bag, good student, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, and bundle.
- American Family offers premium reductions for good driver, early bird, mySafetyValet, accident-free, and good student.
- Progressive discounts include multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- Travelers offers discounts for driver training, save driver, hybrid/electric vehicle, IntelliDrive, good student, and continuous insurance.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for youthful driver, switch companies, multi-car, distant student, pay in full, good student, and teen driver.
- USAA has savings for new vehicle, good student, military installation, driver training, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include new vehicle discount, safety features, preferred payment discount, teen driver discount, and multi-car.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all companies you are considering which discounts they offer. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in your state. To view insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Michigan, click here to view.
The fastest way that we advise to compare rate quotes for Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Detroit takes advantage of the fact most of the larger companies actually pay money for the chance to quote your coverage. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information like if the vehicle is leased, what you do for a living, which vehicles you own, and whether you are married. That information is instantly sent to multiple top-rated companies and you receive quotes very quickly.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Detroit.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Michigan. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Five factors that influence insurance costs
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that could result in lower premium levels.
The following are just a few of the factors used by insurance companies to determine your premiums.
Discounts for alarms and GPS tracking – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder your car from being stolen.
Annual miles is a factor – The more miles you rack up on your Toyota in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. Most companies apply a rate based on their usage. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates than cars that get driven a lot. It’s a good idea to make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money. Improper usage on your Prius Prime is just wasting money.
Drive a safer car and pay less – Cars with five star safety ratings can get you lower premiums. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts which can result in lower premiums.
Get hitched and get cheaper rates – Having a wife or husband may save some money on your auto insurance policy. Marriage generally demonstrates drivers are more mature than a single person and statistics show married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Good credit scores equal low premiums – An insured’s credit history is a large factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. If your credit could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Toyota Prius Prime by improving your rating. Insureds that have very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than those with worse credit.
Everyone needs different auto insurance coverages
When choosing a policy for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Is my trailer covered?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Independent or exclusive car insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and often times that is recommended An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find the lowest rates and also buy local. And supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Detroit.
After filling out this short form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to agents in your area that can provide free Detroit car insurance quotes for your business. You don’t have to find an agent since price quotes are sent instantly to you. You can get cheaper car insurance rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, you can always visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Types of car insurance agents
When narrowing the list to find a reputable agency, it’s important to understand the different types of agents that you can select. Agents in Detroit are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers so as a result can place your coverage through many companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a lower price, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparing car insurance prices, you will want to get some free quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most have the option of insuring with small mutual carriers that many times have cheaper rates.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Detroit who may provide rate quotes.
- Cosby Insurance Agy and Financial Services
10140 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48221 – (313) 864-3285 – View Map
- Advasure Insurance
13600 W 8 Mile Rd C – Detroit, MI 48205 – (313) 521-0300 – View Map
- Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Some people will only use the same agent primarily because of the prominent brand name and strong financial ratings.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Detroit that can give you comparison quotes.
- Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
- PD Dandnaik – State Farm Insurance Agent
W, 7725 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 554-1500 – View Map
- Anthony Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
23221 Plymouth Rd – Detroit, MI 48239 – (313) 533-2440 – View Map
Picking the best car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Detroit should have no problem answering these questions:
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- How many companies do they write for?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- How are claims handled?
Upon receiving good responses to your questions as well as a affordable price, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that will insure your vehicles. Just keep in mind you are entitled to cancel your policy at any time so don’t assume that you are permanently stuck with a specific company for the full term.
Why you need Prius Prime insurance in Michigan
Despite the potentially high cost of Toyota Prius Prime insurance, insuring your vehicle is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Prius Prime has a loan, most banks will require you to carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota at an extremely high rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays as much as $869 every year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Lower-priced Toyota Prius Prime insurance in Detroit is possible both online as well as from independent agents in Detroit, and you should compare rates from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not offer online rate quotes and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
We’ve covered a lot of information how to reduce Toyota Prius Prime insurance rates online in Detroit. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding affordable Toyota Prius Prime insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from the smaller companies.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut physical damage coverage and learned later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Much more information about auto insurance in Michigan is available at these links:
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a Toyota Corolla in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)