It’s shocking but a large majority of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly half have never shopped around. The average driver in the U.S. could save nearly $850 a year by just comparing quotes, but they just don’t understand the benefits if they bought a different policy.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find affordable quotes for Subaru WRX insurance in Detroit is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from different companies that sell auto insurance in Michigan.
- First, try to learn a little about what is in your policy and the modifications you can make to drop your rates. Many risk factors that drive up the price like your driving record and a substandard credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save some money and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One bit of advice is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to compare as many companies as you can. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Cheap auto insurance in Detroit, MI
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Detroit, MI. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Get cheaper Subaru WRX insurance in Detroit with discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there could be available discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be applied at the time you complete a quote, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for lower premium rates.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a deployed family member may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies with one company you could get a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds who allow their insurance company to monitor their driving habits by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might get better premium rates if their driving habits are good.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Drivers who insure several vehicles on the same insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- New Car Discount – Buying a new car model is cheaper because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
Please keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Popular insurance companies and some of the discounts include:
- Esurance offers discounts for paid-in-full, renters, online shopper, safety device, and Pac-12 alumni.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for air bag, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, good student, defensive driver, driver training, and bundle.
- AAA includes discounts for good student, AAA membership discount, multi-car, pay-in-full, and good driver.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including emergency military deployment, five-year accident-free, anti-theft, membership and employees, and defensive driver.
- State Farm offers discounts including accident-free, multiple policy, driver’s education, safe vehicle, good driver, anti-theft, and defensive driving training.
Check with every insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not be available in Detroit. To see a list of insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Michigan, click here.
Informed Consumers Can Cut Their Insurance Prices
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the rating factors that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that may reward you with big savings. Many things are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as traffic violations, but others are less apparent such as your credit history and annual miles driven.
The factors shown below are some of the most common factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set rates.
Maintain car insurance coverage – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a fast way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time. Then you may be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Michigan DMV.
Keep car insurance claims to a minimum – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can definitely plan on either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance companies in Michigan award most affordable rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. Your insurance policy is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
Higher deductibles reduce costs – Physical damage deductibles state the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be collision with another vehicle, damage caused by hail, and damage from wind. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Do you really need roadside assistance? – There are quite a few additional coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Coverages like personal injury protection, towing, and extra life insurance coverage could be just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them eliminate them to save money.
Car and home together may be cheaper – Most companies provide discounts for people who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you’re getting this discount consumers should still shop around to ensure the best deal.There is a good possibility that you can save even more than the discount by buying from different companies
Rural areas have lower costs – Having an address in a rural area has definite advantages when shopping for auto insurance. Less people living in that area corresponds to lower accident rates and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers regularly have more traffic problems and more time behind the wheel. More time commuting means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
Proper usage rating affects rates – The more you drive your Subaru each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies charge rates based upon how much you drive. Cars that are left in the garage can be on a lower rate level than those used for commuting. Improper usage on your WRX is throwing money out the window. It’s a good idea to make sure your car insurance policy states annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Loss probability for a Subaru WRX – Companies analyze historical claim data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Vehicles that historically have a trend towards higher claims will cost more for specific coverages. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data for Subaru WRX vehicles.
For each coverage category, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is equal to 100. Values below 100 represent a good loss history, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate more frequent claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Subaru WRX 4WD||141||82||158||94||81||84|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Compare prices but work with a local neighborhood Detroit car insurance agent
Many drivers still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is OK! Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is definitely important in Detroit.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information gets sent to insurance agents in Detroit that provide free Detroit car insurance quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered directly to you. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a specific car insurance provider, you would need to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from an insurance agent, there are two different agency structures and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can handle car insurance, but it’s worth mentioning why they differ since it can impact which agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by any specific company so as a result can place your coverage through many different car insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part. When comparing rates, you definitely need to get several quotes from several independent agencies to have the most options to choose from. Most also have access to lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Below is a partial list of independent agencies in Detroit that can give you price quote information.
- Clark Insurance Agency
2711 E Jefferson Ave #206 – Detroit, MI 48207 – (313) 259-6600 – View Map
- Dave Gilead Insurance Agency
18323 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48219 – (313) 533-3220 – View Map
- L.A. Insurance Agency 150
14701 Mack Ave – Detroit, MI 48215 – (313) 884-8888 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only quote rates from one company like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot provide other company’s prices so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Some insured continue to buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the prominence of the brand rather than low price.
The following are Detroit exclusive insurance agents who can help you get rate quotes.
- Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
- Kenya Wells – State Farm Insurance Agent
20021 Kelly Rd – Detroit, MI 48225 – (313) 822-5948 – View Map
- Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
Finding a good insurance agency requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
After receiving positive feedback for all questions you ask and the cheapest Subaru WRX insurance in Detroit quotes, you may have just found an insurance agent that will properly service your car insurance policy. Just understand that consumers can cancel a policy at any point so never assume you are locked into the car insurance policy with no way out.
People change insurance companies for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, not issuing a premium refund, high rates after DUI convictions or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Whatever your reason, finding the right car insurance provider can be pretty painless.
Low-cost Subaru WRX insurance in Detroit can be found online in addition to many Detroit insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies may not offer online rate quotes and many times these regional carriers work with independent insurance agents.
As you quote Detroit car insurance, don’t be tempted to skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
More information can be found below:
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Unemployed Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Detroit, Michigan? (FAQ)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)