Anyone knows that insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Insureds who shop around for cheaper rates will, in all likelihood, buy a different policy because of the good chance of finding lower prices. A recent car insurance study revealed that people who made a habit of comparing rates saved over $3,500 over four years compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the lowest rates on Pontiac Solstice insurance is your ultimate target, then knowing how to get free comparison quotes and analyze coverages can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
To save the most money, the best way to find better pricing on Pontiac Solstice insurance in Detroit is to start doing a yearly price comparison from providers who provide car insurance in Michigan.
Step 1: Read about car insurance and the measures you can control to drop your rates. Many rating criteria that cause high rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and bad credit can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives information to prevent rate hikes and find hidden discounts.
Step 2: Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Step 4: Give notification to your current company to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a completed application for your new policy. Immediately put the new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
One bit of advice is to make sure you enter identical coverages on each quote request and to quote with as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
To find the best auto insurance rates, there are several ways to compare rate quotes from many auto insurance companies in Michigan. The easiest way to compare rates involves getting comparison quotes online.
When comparison shopping, having more price comparisons will enable you to find lower pricing.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Detroit, MI. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Three reasons auto insurance is important
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Pontiac Solstice in Detroit, auto insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your Pontiac Solstice, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Pontiac at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, auto insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also cover medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Detroit is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so it’s important to compare rates once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Insurance Price Influencing Factors
The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at some of the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that could result in better auto insurance rates.
The items below are some of the items that factor into your prices.
- Limits of liability – The liability coverage on your policy provides coverage in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to other policy coverages, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Do you really need to file those insurance claims? – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims don’t be surprised to see either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in Michigan give better rates to people who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Extra coverages can cost a lot – Insurance companies have many extra add-on coverages that can waste your money when buying auto insurance. Things like vanishing deductibles, death and dismemberment, and term life insurance are probably not needed. These coverages may sound good at first, but now you might not need them so consider taking them off your policy.
- Battle of the sexes – Statistics have proven that females take fewer risks when driving. Now that doesn’t mean males are worse at driving than females. Both sexes are in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but men cause more damage. Men also receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI). Male drivers age 16 to 19 have the highest risk to insure so it costs more to insure them.
- Cheaper rates using theft deterrents – Purchasing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can save you a little every year. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- Auto insurance rates and your job – Occupations such as military generals, social workers, and accountants tend to have higher rates than average due to intense work situations and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, careers such as actors, athletes and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Marriage discount – Being married actually saves money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a significant other generally demonstrates drivers are more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Lower-cost Pontiac Solstice insurance quotes in Detroit
Companies do not list every available discount very well, so below is a list a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to you. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Sign Online – Many car insurance companies will give a small break just for signing your application over the internet.
- Defensive Driving Course – Participating in a course that instructs on driving safety can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Early Switch Discount – A few larger companies allow discounts for signing up early. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers over the age of 55 may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Low Miles Discount – Low annual miles could earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
Just know that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
If you would like to view car insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Michigan, click here.
Insurance is unique, just like you
When selecting the right insurance coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different and your insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions can help discover if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Should I rate my Pontiac Solstice as pleasure use or commute?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Pontiac Solstice?
- What is GAP insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local Detroit insurance agent
Many drivers would rather buy from a local agent and that is not a bad decision An additional benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower premium rates and also buy local. Buying from neighborhood agents is still important in Detroit.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your information gets sent to insurance agents in Detroit that can give you free Detroit auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates AND a local agent. If you wish to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you just need to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
If you are searching for a local insurance agency, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents to choose from. Car insurance agents in Detroit are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are not restricted to one company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, your agent can switch companies which makes it simple for you.
When comparison shopping, you will want to get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. Many write coverage with smaller companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Detroit who may be able to give you comparison quotes.
- L.A. Insurance Agency 150
14701 Mack Ave – Detroit, MI 48215 – (313) 884-8888 – View Map
- Detroit L.A. Insurance
13545 W Seven Mile Rd – Detroit, MI 48235 – (313) 340-4444 – View Map
- Insurance Services of Michigan
615 Griswold St Griswold – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 963-7170 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel can only write with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Many people purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
The following are exclusive agencies in Detroit that are able to give price quotes.
- Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
- Kenya Wells – State Farm Insurance Agent
20021 Kelly Rd – Detroit, MI 48225 – (313) 822-5948 – View Map
- State Farm – Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-3172 – View Map
Choosing the best car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. The following questions are important to ask.
- How long has the business existed?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
More quotes mean more car insurance savings
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where an insured dropped full coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
Lower-priced Pontiac Solstice insurance in Detroit can be purchased both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies may not offer price quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers work with independent insurance agencies.
Additional detailed information is located in the articles below:
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota RAV4 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Detroit Auto Insurance for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- Who has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes in Detroit, MI? (DetroitInsure.com)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)