Unthinkable but true, most Michigan auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never compared rates from other carriers. Drivers in the U.S. could save an average of up to $859 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most undervalue the amount of savings they would get if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Really, the only way to find affordable quotes for Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance is to regularly compare quotes from different companies who can sell car insurance in Detroit. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
- Get an understanding of car insurance and the measures you can control to lower rates. Many rating factors that cause rate increases such as distracted driving and your credit history can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies. View prices
- Compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if cheaper i-MiEV coverage is available. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
One important bit of advice is to use identical deductibles and limits on every quote and and to look at as many different insurance providers as possible. This provides the most accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Finding the cheapest auto insurance coverage in Detroit is much easier if you have a good place to start. If you have a policy now, you should be able to find the best rates using the concepts you’re about to learn. But Michigan vehicle owners need to have an understanding of the methods companies use to compete online because rates are impacted by many factors.
Affordable companies for Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Michigan. If your goal is to find the best auto insurance in Detroit, MI, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Car insurance rates and discounts
Some companies don’t always publicize the complete list of policy discounts very well, so the following list contains both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and will save you 10% or more on i-MiEV insurance in Detroit.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Detroit drivers who stay claim-free pay less when compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for lower car insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Detroit auto insurance depending on your car insurance provider.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Companies that have some of the above discounts are:
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Savings may not be offered in Detroit. To choose insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Detroit, follow this link.
When in doubt talk to an agent
When quoting and choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really isn’t a “perfect” insurance plan. You are unique.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether you might need professional guidance.
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- What is the minimum liability in Michigan?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- What states are considered no-fault?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Local Detroit car insurance agents
Many people would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a smart decision The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is immediately sent to participating agents in Detroit who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to you. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific company, just navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on a insurer should depend on more than just the price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two types of agencies that you can choose from. Auto insurance agents may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel write business for a single company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. They are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
The following are exclusive agencies in Detroit willing to provide rate quotes.
Agents that choose to be independent are appointed with more than one company so they can write business through many different auto insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing auto insurance rates, you absolutely need to contact several independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Detroit who can help you get price quotes.
1529 Woodward Ave – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 962-6200 – View Map
16800 W Warren Ave – Detroit, MI 48228 – (313) 581-3400 – View Map
Detailed coverages of your auto insurance policy
Having a good grasp of auto insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Auto insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive protection – This pays to fix your vehicle from damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like damage from getting keyed, damage from flooding and vandalism. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Medical expense coverage – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses for chiropractic care, rehabilitation expenses, pain medications and funeral costs. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Mitsubishi i-MiEV.
Due to the fact that many Michigan drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Michigan limits are 20/40/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your i-MiEV caused by collision with another car or object. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, rolling your car, crashing into a building and crashing into a ditch. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your i-MiEV to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for liability – Liability insurance protects you from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people by causing an accident. It protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show values of 20/40/10 that translate to a limit of $20,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $40,000, and property damage coverage for $10,000.
Liability coverage pays for claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical services, court costs and legal defense fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Michigan requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/10 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The next chart demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Don’t give up on cheap coverage
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to save on Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance in Detroit. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote Detroit auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Detroit auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest rates are with some of the lesser-known companies.
Cheap Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance in Detroit can be sourced on the web and with local Detroit insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these smaller companies work with independent insurance agencies.
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like denial of a claim, high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service or delays in responding to claim requests. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company can be pretty painless.
Even more information can be found at these sites:
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 50 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- How Much Does Car Insurance Go Up After a Speeding Ticket? (DetroitInsure.com)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)