Truthfully, the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from insurers who sell auto insurance in Detroit. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- First, try to learn about car insurance and the steps you can take to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like traffic violations, accidents, and poor credit can be controlled by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover the details to help keep rates affordable and get additional discounts.
- Second, quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money and decide to switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One thing to point out is to make sure you’re comparing the same level of coverage on each quote and and to compare all possible companies. Doing this enables a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
Inconceivable but true, a large majority of drivers have been with the same company for over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Detroit consumers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to do a rate comparison.
Cheapest Mercury insurance rates in Detroit
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Michigan. To locate the best car insurance in Michigan, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Why You Might Pay Lower Rates in Detroit
Many things are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but some are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that come into play when calculating your car insurance rates. If you have some idea of what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you big savings.
- Are men or women drivers cheaper? – Statistics have proven that females tend to be a little less risky than males. That doesn’t necessarily mean that females are better drivers. Females and males tend to get into auto accidents in similar numbers, but the males cause more damage. Men also tend to get ticketed for serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Cheaper prices for being claim-free – Auto insurance companies in Michigan give the best rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance coverage is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Vocation can influence rates – Occupations such as military generals, police officers, and accountants are shown to have higher premium rates attributed to high stress levels and lots of time spent away from family. Other jobs like professors, athletes and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Save money by having excellent credit – Having a bad credit history is a big factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers who have worse credit. If your credit score is low, you may save money insuring your Mercury Sable by improving your credit score.
- Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure – Cars with five star safety ratings cost less to insure. The safest vehicles reduce occupant injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
Save a ton on Mercury Sable insurance in Detroit with these auto insurance discounts
Some insurers don’t necessarily list every discount available in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Paperless Signup – A few larger online companies will give you a small discount for completing your application online.
- Memberships – Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on your next renewal.
- Mature Driver Discount – Older drivers may receive reduced rates.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Detroit auto insurance with select insurance companies.
- Life Insurance – Select companies reward you with a lower price if you buy some life insurance too.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Renewal Discounts – A few auto insurance companies allow discounts for switching companies before your current coverage expires. It could save around 10% when you buy Detroit auto insurance online.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way.
Companies that may offer some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
Check with all the companies which discounts they offer. Some discounts listed above may not apply in your state. If you would like to view companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Michigan, click here to view.
Local neighborhood Detroit car insurance agents
A lot of people just want to buy from a local agent and that can be a smart move The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. You’ll get the best rates and work with a local agent. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Is there a local claims center in Detroit?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you’re trying to find local Detroit agents, there are two different types of agencies and how they work. Auto insurance agencies are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents are contracted to one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. They are usually well trained on the products they sell which can be an advantage. Consumers sometimes choose to use a exclusive agent mostly because of the prominent brand name rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Detroit that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
- Michelle Sims – State Farm Insurance Agent
24970 W Outer Dr – Lincoln Park, MI 48146 – (313) 928-1348 – View Map
- Angela Hughes – State Farm Insurance Agent
14511 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48235 – (313) 862-7800 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agents do not work for one specific company so they can quote policies with lots of companies and find you cheaper rates. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, you need to get insurance quotes from independent agents in order to have the best price comparison. Most also write with less well-known companies which may provide better rates.
The following are Detroit independent insurance agents who can help you get price quotes.
- C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48208 – (313) 894-2144 – View Map
- L.A. Insurance Agency 150
14701 Mack Ave – Detroit, MI 48215 – (313) 884-8888 – View Map
- Advasure Insurance
13600 W 8 Mile Rd C – Detroit, MI 48205 – (313) 521-0300 – View Map
After talking to the agent and getting reasonable responses to these questions and an affordable coverage quote, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that is professional and can properly service your auto insurance policy.
Insurance agents can help
When quoting and comparing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique so this has to be addressed.
For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Michigan?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Should I buy only the required Michigan minimum liability coverage?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Can I cancel at any time?
- What if I total my Mercury Sable and owe more than it’s worth?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Cheaper auto insurance is out there
Lower-priced auto insurance in Detroit is possible on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you need to quote Detroit auto insurance with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies don’t offer online rate quotes and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
You just learned many ways to compare Mercury Sable insurance car insurance rates in Detroit. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Detroit auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Detroit auto insurance quotes. You may even find the biggest savings come from an unexpected company. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers with Bad Credit in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)