The most effective way to get affordable Jeep Cherokee insurance is to start doing an annual price comparison from different companies who provide auto insurance in Detroit.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to lower rates. Many things that drive up the price like accidents, traffic violations, and poor credit history can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Read the full article for instructions to help reduce prices and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy to determine if you can save on Cherokee insurance in Detroit. If you can save money and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
A crucial key to this process is to compare identical coverage information on each quote and and to compare as many different insurance providers as possible. This ensures a fair rate comparison and many rates to choose from.
Unbelievable but true, most drivers have been with the same company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Drivers in Detroit could save up to $3,800 every year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t understand how simple it is to shop around.
Finding Jeep Cherokee insurance in Detroit, MI
Just remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes increases your odds of finding a lower rate than you’re paying now.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Detroit, MI. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Score discounts to get cheaper Detroit insurance quotes
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but companies offer discounts to help bring down the price. Some discounts apply automatically when you get a quote, but less common discounts must be inquired about before being credited. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- E-sign – Some of the larger companies will give you a small discount just for signing your application online.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Accident-free drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Detroit Homeowners Pay Less – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because owning a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Completing a driver safety course could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new Cherokee can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having several vehicles with one company qualifies for this discount.
As a footnote on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A few of the larger companies and some of their more popular discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, federal employee, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for good driver, good student, claim-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, accident-free
- State Farm has savings for student away at school, defensive driving training, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, and multiple autos.
- Progressive offers discounts including homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online signing, and online quote discount.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for accident-free, low natural disaster claims, professional/association, good student, and anti-theft.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including homeowners, anti-lock brakes, teen driver, early bird, and automatic seat belts.
- Allstate may offer discounts for passive restraint, EZ pay plan discount, 55 and retired, auto/life discount, early signing, and eSmart discount.
When getting a coverage quote, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered in Detroit. If you would like to see a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Detroit, click here to view.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
Many different elements are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, but some are less obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
The factors shown below are most of the major factors used by insurance companies to determine your rate level.
Battle of the sexes – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females take fewer risks when driving. However, this does not mean females are better drivers. Females and males tend to get into at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the men get into accidents with more damage. Men also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
Costs can change based on your address – Living in less populated areas of the country can save you money when talking about insurance. Less people living in that area means a lower chance of having an accident as well as less vandalism and auto theft. People in densely populated areas tend to have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
Is your car, truck or SUV built for speed? – The performance of the vehicle you need to insure makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The most favorable rates are usually for smaller low performance passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Get a ticket, pay higher premiums – Having a single citation can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have gotten license-revoking tickets like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding might be required by their state to file a SR-22 with their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Drive lots and pay more – The more you drive each year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Most insurance companies charge rates based on their usage. Cars that do not get driven very much can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Having the wrong rating on your Cherokee may be costing you higher rates. It’s a smart idea to ensure your insurance policy is rated on the correct driver usage.
Job impacts rates – Did you know your insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like fire fighters, architects, and accountants are shown to have the highest average rates in part from high stress and long work days. On the flip side, careers like scientists, students and retirees receive lower rates.
Jeep Cherokee claim data – Companies use claims history to calculate a price that will offset losses. Models that statistically have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have a higher premium rate. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Jeep Cherokee vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is set at 100. Numbers below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 point to more frequent losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Jeep Cherokee 4dr 2WD||76||105||77||87||90||109|
|Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4WD||78||115||82||75||79||103|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years