How many times have you said it’s time to compare more competitive Honda Civic insurance in Detroit? Frustrated by the dozens of auto insurance companies in your area? Lot’s of other drivers are too. There are such a large number of options that it can easily turn into hard work to lower your auto insurance rates for Honda Civic insurance in Detroit. Everyone knows that Detroit is an excellent city in which to live, but trying to pay high auto insurance rates can make it hard to afford.
How to buy cheaper Honda Civic insurance in Detroit
The most effective way to find better pricing on Honda Civic insurance in Detroit is to compare prices once a year from different companies who provide car insurance in Michigan. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- First, get a basic knowledge of the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like traffic citations, accidents, and an imperfect credit score can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Second, compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on Civic insurance. If you can save some money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One piece of advice is to try to use the same level of coverage on every quote and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Unimaginable but true, the vast majority of drivers have remained with the same auto insurance company for over three years, and nearly half have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. U.S. consumers could pocket $860 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Locating the best rates in Detroit is actually quite simple. Practically every car owner who buys auto insurance will find lower prices. But Michigan drivers must comprehend how insurance companies determine how much to charge because rates fluctuate considerably.
There are several ways to obtain and compare prices from auto insurance companies in your area. The best method to find the cheapest insurance rates consists of shopping online.
When comparison shopping, comparing more quotes increases your odds of finding the best price. Some companies don’t provide online price quotes, so it’s important to compare price estimates from those companies as well.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Detroit, MI. To get the best car insurance in Detroit, MI, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
Rates and statistics
The price information displayed next showcases different insurance rates for Honda Civic models. Having a better idea how premiums are figured can be of help when making informed decisions when comparing rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$358||$746||$650||$38||$194||$1,986||$166|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$358||$880||$650||$38||$194||$2,120||$177|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$358||$880||$650||$38||$194||$2,120||$177|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$358||$880||$812||$48||$242||$2,340||$195|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$358||$880||$650||$38||$194||$2,120||$177|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$358||$880||$650||$38||$194||$2,120||$177|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$358||$1012||$812||$48||$242||$2,472||$206|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$410||$1012||$650||$38||$194||$2,304||$192|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$410||$1012||$650||$38||$194||$2,304||$192|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$410||$1012||$812||$48||$242||$2,524||$210|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$410||$1012||$650||$38||$194||$2,304||$192|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$410||$1012||$812||$48||$242||$2,524||$210|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$464||$880||$650||$38||$194||$2,226||$186|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$464||$1146||$812||$48||$242||$2,712||$226|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in specific location which can raise or lower premium rates considerably.
Irresponsible driving raises your rates
The diagram below illustrates how violations and fender-benders increase Honda Civic car insurance rates for each different age group. Data assumes a married female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only in Detroit
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Honda Civic insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The rate quotes are based on no accidents or driving violations, $100 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no specific rule of when to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Honda Civic claim settlement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $8,000 after paying your deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $800 a year to have full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage.
Slash rates with these price cutting discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list the entire discount list in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Detroit auto insurance online.
- College Student Discount – Kids who live away from home at college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some insurance companies give a lower price if you buy life insurance.
- Responsible Drivers – Accident-free drivers can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with more than one vehicle on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
Remember that some credits don’t apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, nobody gets a free ride.
The diagram below compares Honda Civic auto insurance rates with and without discounts applied. The premiums are based on a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Michigan state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, marriage, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-car discounts applied.
A list of companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- MetLife has savings for good student, claim-free, accident-free, multi-policy, good driver, defensive driver
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including ease of repair, anti-theft, accident-free, good student, low natural disaster claims, age of vehicle, and multi-car.
- Nationwide includes discounts for easy pay, good student, business or organization, defensive driving, Farm Bureau membership, and family plan.
- GEICO may offer discounts for federal employee, military active duty, good student, membership and employees, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, and five-year accident-free.
- AAA may have discounts that include multi-policy, education and occupation, multi-car, good driver, anti-theft, pay-in-full, and AAA membership discount.
Before you buy a policy, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some credits might not apply in your area. If you would like to view car insurance companies who offer free Honda Civic insurance quotes in Michigan, click this link.
Insurance is not optional
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Detroit, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Civic has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Honda at an extremely high rate and require you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Which is the best insurance?
When choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Your situation is unique and your policy should reflect that.
For instance, these questions might point out if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Detroit?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- Should I buy full coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Insurance agencies are professional risk managers
Certain consumers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get the best rates but also keep your business local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents in Detroit who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to drive around since price quotes are sent instantly to you. You can get cheaper auto insurance rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you wish to compare prices from one company in particular, just visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking an insurance company should depend on more than just a cheap price. A good agent in Detroit will have answers to these questions.
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
If you are wanting to find a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents to choose from. Auto insurance policy providers can be classified as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only quote rates from one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers frequently purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Detroit who may provide you with rate quotes.
- Anthony Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
23221 Plymouth Rd – Detroit, MI 48239 – (313) 533-2440 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Ago Benavides
3570 W Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48216 – (313) 849-2000 – View Map
- John Cash – State Farm Insurance Agent
19203 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 537-1200 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
These type of agents are not limited to a single company and that gives them the ability to insure with many different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, your agent can switch companies which makes it simple for you.
When comparing rates, we recommend you compare quotes from independent agents to get the best comparison. Most independent agents also contract with small mutual carriers which can be an advantage.
The following are Detroit independent insurance agents willing to provide rate quotes.
- Diebold Detroit Insurance Agency
1420 Broadway St #101 – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 964-3750 – View Map
- Michigan Basic Property Insurance
3245 E Jefferson Ave – Detroit, MI 48207 – (313) 877-7400 – View Map
- Premier Insurance
16119 W Warren Ave – Detroit, MI 48228 – (313) 582-1500 – View Map