The recommended way to find lower priced car insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Detroit. You can shop around by following these steps.
- Learn about how car insurance works and the steps you can take to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like traffic violations and an imperfect credit history can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely. Continue reading for more details to get cheaper coverage and earn larger discounts.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if cheaper ATS coverage is available. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
An important part of this process is to make sure you're comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get prices from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
It's shocking but most auto insurance buyers have been with the same company for at least four years, and nearly half have never compared rates with other companies. The average driver in Detroit could save themselves roughly $3,836 a year just by shopping around, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to compare rate quotes online.
The most recommended method to compare insurance rates from multiple companies takes advantage of the fact auto insurance companies pay for the opportunity to provide you with free rate quotes. All you need to do is give them some information such as your occupation, whether you are single or married, distance driven, and the type of vehicles you drive. Your information is automatically sent to all major companies and they return rate quotes within a short period of time.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in Detroit.
The following companies are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Detroit, MI. If you want the best cheap auto insurance in MI, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Car insurance companies don't list every possible discount very clearly, so the following list contains a few of the more well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Save with a New Car - Buying auto insurance coverage on a new vehicle can get you a discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Driver Education Discount - It's a good idea to have your young drivers enroll in driver's education if it's offered in school.
- No Charge for an Accident - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual permit an accident without the usual rate increase if your claims history is clear for a specific time period.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to monitor driving manner by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
A quick disclaimer, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts include:
- Travelers includes discounts for driver training, good student, save driver, IntelliDrive, and new car.
- 21st Century may include discounts for automatic seat belts, air bags, homeowners, 55 and older, student driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm may offer discounts for good student, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, driver's education, multiple policy, and student away at school.
- GEICO has discounts for daytime running lights, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, military active duty, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include multi-car, anti-lock brakes, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, and accident prevention training.
- AAA has savings for pay-in-full, anti-theft, good driver, good student, education and occupation, and multi-policy.
Double check with every company to apply every possible discount. A few discounts may not be available in your area. To locate insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Michigan, click here.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Even though Detroit ATS insurance rates can get expensive, insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your car, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Cadillac for a much higher rate and require you to pay the higher price.
Third, insurance protects both your Cadillac and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays as much as $830 a year so smart consumers compare quotes every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
What if I want to buy from local Detroit auto insurance agents?
Some people prefer to talk to an insurance agent. Experienced insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help you file claims. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is that you can find better rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting local insurance agents is definitely important in Detroit.
After completing this quick form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you need to quote rates for a specific company, don't hesitate to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
If you prefer to buy insurance from a reliable insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agents in Detroit can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either one can provide insurance policies, but it's important to know the difference between them since it may influence your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies through many different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If premiums increase, an independent agent can move your coverage which is easy for the insured.
If you need cheaper insurance rates, we recommend you compare quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Detroit who can help you get pricing information.
C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd - Detroit, MI 48208 - (313) 894-2144 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are trained well on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agents in Detroit who can help you get comparison quotes.
Jim Saucedo - State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy - Detroit, MI 48209 - (313) 841-8100 - View Map
Picking the best auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Detroit should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Detroit?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
Once you have received positive responses to any questions you have and locked in a price quote, you've probably found an insurance agent that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles. Just be aware that once you purchase a policy you can cancel your coverage whenever you choose to so don't think that you are permanently stuck with your new company with no way out.