Shockingly, most consumers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never compared insurance rates at all. Many drivers in Detroit can cut their rates by approximately 65% a year just by comparing rates, but most tend to underestimate the rate savings if they bought a different policy.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates in Detroit is to compare prices regularly from providers in Michigan. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the measures you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that cause rate increases such as traffic violations, accidents, and poor credit history can be controlled by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. Click to view companies
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
A tip to remember is to try to use identical coverage information on each price quote and and to compare as many auto insurance providers as possible. This enables a fair rate comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Finding the cheapest insurance coverage in Detroit is much easier if you have a good place to start. If you have insurance now, you should be able to lower your rates using the techniques presented in this article. Nevertheless, Michigan car owners can benefit from knowing the methods companies use to set your policy premium and apply this information to your search.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Costs
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that aid in calculating your insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with lower insurance prices. Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, although others are more obscure such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
- More miles driven equals more premium – The more you drive annually the higher your rates will be. A lot of companies rate vehicles partially by how you use the vehicle. Vehicles not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Having the wrong rating on your TLX can cost quite a bit. It’s always a good idea to double check that your insurance coverage is showing the right rating data.
- When should you not file insurance claims? – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in Michigan provide the lowest premiums to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Physical damage deductibles are a factor – Your deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay before your insurance pays a claim. Physical damage protection, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims would be rear-ending another vehicle, damage caused by hail, or theft of your vehicle. The more damage repair cost you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Only buy what you need – Policies have additional extra coverages that may not really be needed on your TLX policy. Coverage for things like personal injury protection, towing coverage, and membership fees may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
- Premiums can be impacted by your employer – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Careers like real estate brokers, architects, and dentists tend to pay higher rates than average attributed to stressful work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, careers like professors, students and homemakers receive lower rates.
- Always keep your policy in force – Driving without insurance is a big no-no and any future policy may cost more because you let your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will rates go up, the inability to provide proof of insurance could earn you a license revocation or jail time.
Acura TLX insurance claim data – Car insurance companies analyze the history of losses to help determine prices. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher number or severity of losses will have a higher cost to insure. The table below illustrates the collected loss data for Acura TLX vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is equal to 100. Numbers below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while percentage values above 100 indicate frequent claims or larger claims.
Acura TLX Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Acura TLX 4dr 2WD 90 75 97 93 74 77 Acura TLX 4dr 4WD 120 75BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Verify you’re applying every discount
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might already qualify for some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could qualify you for a break on auto insurance.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles can qualify you for substantially lower rates.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accidents.
- College Student – Children who live away from home to go to college and do not have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Driver Safety – Participating in a defensive driver course may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think you could get a free auto insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
A list of auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide are:
- State Farm offers premium reductions for Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, defensive driving training, good student, passive restraint, and good driver.
- American Family has savings for defensive driver, good driver, good student, TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, and accident-free.
- AAA offers discounts including multi-car, anti-theft, pay-in-full, good student, and AAA membership discount.
- GEICO may have discounts that include seat belt use, good student, membership and employees, military active duty, and multi-policy.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for multi-car, multi-policy, low natural disaster claims, annual mileage, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for switch companies, multi-car, teen driver, pay in full, electronic funds transfer, and alternative fuel.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, good student, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and online quote discount.
When quoting, ask each company which discounts you qualify for. Discounts may not apply in your state. To find insurers offering auto insurance discounts in Detroit, follow this link.
Smart shoppers get results
People leave their current company for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, policy cancellation, poor customer service or extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching insurance companies can be pretty painless.
The cheapest Acura TLX insurance in Detroit can be purchased both online in addition to many Detroit insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies don’t offer online rate quotes and usually these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Even more information can be found at these sites:
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)