Want to learn how to buy cheaper car insurance rates in Detroit, MI? Detroit consumers have options when looking for the lowest priced Nissan Versa insurance. They can either waste time contacting agents to get rate comparisons or leverage the internet to make rate comparisons.
There is a better way to find car insurance online so you’re going to learn the quickest way to quote coverages for a new or used Nissan and get the best price possible from Detroit insurance agents and online providers.
It’s amazing but almost 70% of drivers have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Many drivers in Detroit can save approximately 65% each year just by shopping around, but they feel it’s too difficult to do a rate comparison.
It’s important to do price comparisons before your next renewal since rates tend to go up over time. Just because you had the best deal on Nissan Versa insurance in Detroit last year a different company probably has better prices today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because it’s time to teach you how to quote online to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Lowering your Nissan Versa car insurance rates is an easy way to save money. You just need to take a few minutes getting comparison quotes to discover which company has low cost Detroit car insurance quotes.
The companies in the list below provide price quotes in Detroit, MI. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in Detroit, MI, we suggest you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Insurance coverage analysis
The price information displayed next covers a range of insurance prices for Nissan Versa models. Having insight into how policy rates are calculated is important to be able to make smart choices when selecting a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Versa 1.6 SEDAN||$312||$584||$704||$42||$210||$1,852||$154|
|Versa 1.8 S Hatchback||$366||$838||$704||$42||$210||$2,160||$180|
|Versa 1.8 S SEDAN||$366||$838||$704||$42||$210||$2,160||$180|
|Versa 1.8 SL Hatchback||$420||$964||$704||$42||$210||$2,340||$195|
|Versa 1.8 SL SEDAN||$420||$964||$704||$42||$210||$2,340||$195|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Rates do not factor in specific zip code location which can change prices significantly.
Insurance rate increases from tickets or accidents
The example below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders can drive up Nissan Versa annual premium costs for different age groups. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Nissan Versa annual premiums for males versus females
The diagram below shows the difference between Nissan Versa insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Liability only or full coverage
The chart below compares Nissan Versa auto insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The prices are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no clear-cut formula for eliminating full coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Nissan Versa settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are currently paying more than $300 annually for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where dropping physical damage coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Insuring your Versa just makes sense
Even though Detroit Versa insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Versa, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Nissan at an extremely high rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance protects both your Nissan and your assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. As of last year, the average driver in Michigan overpays as much as $855 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
The Nissan Versa Insurance Premium Equation
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that help determine your policy premiums. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get big savings.
- Lower premiums for vehicles with better crash test results – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and thus lower rates. If your Nissan Versa scored at minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
- Being married brings a discount – Your spouse may earn you lower rates on your car insurance policy. It usually means you are more financially stable and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Qualify for multi-policy discounts – Lots of car insurance companies will award better rates for people who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be as much as ten percent or more Even if you already get this discount, you still need to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Your address can influence price – Choosing to live in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers on the road means less chance of accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. City drivers regularly have traffic congestion and more time behind the wheel. Longer commute distances statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
Nissan Versa claim data – Insurers analyze historical claim data when setting rates for each model. Models that tend to have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The next table shows the loss history for Nissan Versa vehicles.
For each coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles as a whole is considered to be 100. Percentages below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers above 100 indicate frequent claims or statistically larger claims.
Nissan Versa Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Nissan Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Nissan Versa 116 110 92 190 203 138 Nissan Versa Note 112 96 85 161 171 133BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Slash your insurance rates with discounts
Some insurers don’t necessarily list every discount available very clearly, so we took the time to find some of the best known and the more hidden credits that may apply to you.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Payment Method – By making one initial payment instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance on a new Versa can save you some money since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Distant College Student Discount – Children living away from Detroit attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child enroll in driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Life Insurance Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discounted price on car insurance if you buy a life policy as well.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
The chart below shows the comparison of Nissan Versa insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premiums assume a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Michigan state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, marriage, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Large insurance companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- State Farm has savings for Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, passive restraint, multiple policy, safe vehicle, and anti-theft.
- American Family may include discounts for bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, early bird, and accident-free.
- AAA has discounts for multi-car, good student, anti-theft, pay-in-full, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-policy, federal employee, seat belt use, membership and employees, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for ease of repair, multi-policy, annual mileage, accident-free, age of vehicle, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including bundle discounts, switch companies, electronic funds transfer, teen driver, business and professional, and distant student.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, online signing, homeowner, and multi-policy.
If you are trying to find cheaper Detroit car insurance quotes, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your area.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local Detroit insurance agent
Many people still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and often times that is recommended Licensed agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is you may find the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is definitely important in Detroit.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is submitted to insurance agents in Detroit who can give free rate quotes to get your business. There is no need to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go instantly to you. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Detroit for you
If you are wanting to find a local agent, you should know the different types of agents and how they operate. Agents can be classified as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can sell car insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for since it can affect your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not restricted to one company so they can write business through many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to do anything.
When comparing car insurance prices, you should always get several quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection. Most have the option of insuring with smaller mutual companies which can save you money.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agents in Detroit that may be able to give free rate quotes.
- Detroit L.A. Insurance
13545 W Seven Mile Rd – Detroit, MI 48235 – (313) 340-4444 – View Map
- Dave Gilead Insurance Agency
18323 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48219 – (313) 533-3220 – View Map
- C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48208 – (313) 894-2144 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel have only one company to place business with such as State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Many people buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the brand name rather than low rates.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Detroit willing to provide rate quotes.
- John Cash – State Farm Insurance Agent
19203 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 537-1200 – View Map
- Charlotte Knight – State Farm Insurance Agent
7100 W Seven Mile Rd – Detroit, MI 48221 – (313) 340-9000 – View Map
- PD Dandnaik – State Farm Insurance Agent
W, 7725 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 554-1500 – View Map
Picking a auto insurance agent requires more thought than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Michigan?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
One last thing about your coverage
As you quote Detroit car insurance, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
We just covered some good ideas how you can lower your Nissan Versa insurance rates in Detroit. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Detroit car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Drivers switch companies for a number of reasons such as being labeled a high risk driver, denial of a claim, extreme rates for teen drivers or even high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company can be less work than you think.
Steps to saving on Nissan Versa insurance in Detroit
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get affordable Nissan Versa insurance is to regularly compare quotes from different companies who provide auto insurance in Detroit. You can shop around by completing these steps.
Step 1: Read and learn about individual coverages and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like accidents, careless driving, and a negative credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Step 4: Notify your current company of your intent to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment and a completed application to the newly selected company. Once received, place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
An important note is to use similar limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to look at as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees a level playing field and the best price quote selection.
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a School Permit in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)