A recent auto insurance study revealed that over 70% of Michigan drivers have purchased from the same company for at least four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. Many consumers in America could save about $850 each year, but they underestimate the benefits if they switched.
Really, the only way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Detroit.
Step 1: Spend some time learning about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many rating factors that result in higher prices like traffic citations and a less-than-favorable credit history can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Continue reading for more information to get cheaper rates and find more discounts that you may not know about.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies.
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current coverage and submit a signed application and payment to your new carrier. Immediately upon receiving it, keep the new proof of insurance certificate along with your vehicle registration.
An important part of this process is to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get quotes from as many different companies as possible. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and maximum price selection.
Get cheaper Volvo S90 insurance rates in Detroit
Some insurance providers do not list all possible discounts very well, so the below list has both the well known as well as some of the hidden auto insurance savings.
- Telematics Data – Insureds who allow driving data submission to track where and when they drive by using a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save you some money due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
- Early Signing – Select larger companies give a discount for switching to them before your current coverage expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having all your vehicles with the same auto insurance company could earn a price break for each car.
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may lower your prices slightly.
- Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
Popular auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, anti-theft, student away at school, and multiple autos.
- GEICO has savings for military active duty, daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, federal employee, and anti-theft.
- Progressive has discounts for online quote discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, continuous coverage, online signing, and good student.
- 21st Century discounts include student driver, air bags, automatic seat belts, theft prevention, and early bird.
- American Family offers discounts including mySafetyValet, accident-free, bundled insurance, defensive driver, and good student.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include bundle, driver training, anti-theft, air bag, vehicle fuel type, and good student.
- AAA may include discounts for multi-policy, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good driver, pay-in-full, good student, and multi-car.
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies which discounts they offer. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available everywhere. To locate insurance companies with discount rates in Michigan, click here.
Compare Volvo S90 insurance rates
It’s important to know that comparing more quotes will enable you to find more affordable rates. Some regional insurers cannot provide online Detroit S90 insurance quotes, so you should also compare price estimates from them as well.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Michigan. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Choices You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Prices
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that help determine your insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to better insurance rates. Many different elements are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, although some other factors are more transparent like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
Shown below are some of the most common factors used by insurance companies to determine prices.
Defend yourself with liability – Liability insurance provides coverage if you are determined to be liable for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
You might want pay the small insurance claims yourself – Insurance companies in Michigan provide discounts to policyholders who file claims infrequently. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
Safer vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores can get you lower premiums. Highly rated vehicles result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and cheaper rates on your policy.
Multi-policy discounts can save money – Lots of insurers afford better rates to customers who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a chance you can find a better deal by buying insurance from a different company.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to the best car insurance coverage, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Your financial needs are unique and your car insurance should be unique as well. These are some specific questions could help you determine whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Detroit?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Volvo S90 is totaled?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- When should I not file a claim?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- What is PIP insurance?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
Can’t I compare rates from local Detroit insurance agents?
A small number of people just want to have an agent’s advice and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent to your email. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Deciding on an provider needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- How are they compensated?
When narrowing the list to find a good insurance agency, there are two different types of agents that you can select. Agents in Detroit can be classified as either exclusive or independent.
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only write with one company such as AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Detroit that can give you comparison quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies through many different auto insurance companies and find you the best rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your policy is moved internally and you don’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, we highly recommend that you include at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Detroit willing to provide price quotes.
Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
Three reasons to not skimp on auto insurance
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Detroit, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Volvo, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volvo at an extremely high rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance preserves your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical expenses incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Volvo as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your S90 outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Michigan is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Be persistent and save
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Lower-priced Volvo S90 insurance in Detroit can be found on the web in addition to many Detroit insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell through local independent agents.
For more information, feel free to browse the resources below:
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Postal Workers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a School Permit in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- Who has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes in Detroit, MI? (DetroitInsure.com)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)