A recent insurance study revealed that the vast majority of insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for at least four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rates from other carriers. With the average insurance premium being $6,260, Michigan drivers could save almost 65% each year just by comparing rates, but they think it's difficult to compare rate quotes online.
The preferred way to find cheaper auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from companies who sell insurance in Detroit.
- Read about coverages and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be rectified by paying attention to minor details.
- Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies.
- Compare the new rates to your existing policy and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One piece of advice is that you'll want to compare the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and to quote with as many companies as you can. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
If you're already insured or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to find better prices without reducing coverage. Locating the most cost-effective insurance policy in Detroit is much easier if you know where to start. Drivers only need to know the most efficient way to compare different rates using one simple form.
Many insurance companies give coverage prices direct online. Getting online rates for Chevy Avalanche insurance in Detroit doesn't take a lot of time as you just enter the coverage amounts you desire into the form. Upon sending the form, the quote system will order reports for credit and driving violations and returns pricing information based on many factors. This helps simplify price comparisons, and it is imperative to perform this step if you want to get cheap rates.
To find out what other companies charge, compare rates from the companies below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you enter the limits and deductibles exactly as shown on your declarations page. This helps ensure you will be getting a rate comparison using the exact same coverages.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Detroit, MI. To get cheaper car insurance in Michigan, we recommend you get prices from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Cheap Chevy Avalanche insurance in Detroit
Some insurance providers do not advertise every discount available very well, so the list below details some of the best known as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Student Driver Training - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully take a driver's education course in school.
- Student Discounts - Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few car insurance companies give discounts for switching to them before your current expiration date. You may see this discount when you get Detroit car insurance quotes online.
- Accident Waiver - This one isn't a discount, but companies like GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate may permit one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Auto/Life Discount - Insurance companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Claim-Free Discount - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less in comparison with drivers with a long claim history.
- Sign Online - Certain insurance companies give back up to $50 for signing up online.
- Senior Citizens - Older drivers may qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Detroit Homeowners Pay Less - Being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Putting car insurance coverage on a new Avalanche can save you some money because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it's just not the way it works. Any qualifying discounts should help reduce the amount you have to pay.
The example below illustrates the difference between Chevy Avalanche insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. The premiums assume a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, Michigan state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-policy, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
A few companies who may offer some of the above discounts include:
If you need inexpensive Detroit car insurance quotes, ask every company which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in Detroit. To locate insurance companies who offer online Chevy Avalanche insurance quotes in Michigan, click here.
Rate information and statistics
The table shown next highlights detailed analysis of rate quotes for Chevy Avalanche models. Understanding more about how insurance quotes are formulated can help guide drivers when making informed decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Avalanche LS 2WD||$658||$1234||$1044||$62||$312||$3,310||$276|
|Avalanche LT 2WD||$658||$1454||$1044||$62||$312||$3,530||$294|
|Avalanche LS 4WD||$658||$1454||$1044||$62||$312||$3,530||$294|
|Avalanche LT 4WD||$658||$1454||$1044||$62||$312||$3,530||$294|
|Avalanche LTZ 2WD||$732||$1454||$1044||$62||$312||$3,604||$300|
|Avalanche LTZ 4WD||$732||$1454||$1044||$62||$312||$3,604||$300|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in zip code location which can affect price quotes greatly.
Cost of full coverage
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Avalanche car insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The information is based on no violations or accidents, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no clear-cut rule for dropping physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Chevy Avalanche book value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $3,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $300 annually to have full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Get rate quotes but work with a local Detroit insurance agency
Certain consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended Licensed agents can help you build your policy and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you can get cheaper premium rates and still buy from a local agent. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Detroit.
After completing this short form, your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Detroit who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in Detroit
If you want a good Detroit insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Either one can write policy coverage, but it's good to learn why they differ because it can impact the type of agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not employed by one company so as a result can place your coverage through many companies and get you the best rates possible. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally and you don't have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, we recommend you compare prices from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a partial list of independent agents in Detroit who can help you get free auto insurance rate quotes.
Agents of this type can only provide pricing for a single company such as AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. They are unable to provide other company's prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Detroit that are able to give comparison quotes.
Choosing a insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
Different people need different car insurance coverages
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a "perfect" insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions might help in determining whether your personal situation might need an agent's assistance.
- How high should deductibles be on a Chevy Avalanche?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Chevy Avalanche?
- Is other people's property covered if stolen from my vehicle?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Smart Consumers Save More
Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that play a part in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with lower rates.
High premiums for teenage drivers - More experienced drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are generally more financially stable. Young drivers have been known to be careless and easily distracted when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates.
The next chart uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
A coverage lapse is a bad thing - Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a fast way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will you pay higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time. You could then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Michigan department of motor vehicles.
How much liability protection - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance kicks in if ever you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. It is affordable coverage compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Premiums for males may be higher - Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. This data doesn't prove that females are better at driving than males. Both sexes have auto accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also get ticketed for serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
The information below shows the difference between Chevy Avalanche car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no claims, a clean driving record, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Cheaper rates after marriage - Walking down the aisle can actually save you money when shopping for car insurance. Having a spouse is viewed as being less irresponsible and it's proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Three good reasons to insure your Avalanche
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Detroit, maintaining insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Chevy Avalanche but also your financial assets. It will also cover many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so you should quote rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
One last thing about your coverage
Some insurance companies may not have online quoting and usually these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agencies. Lower-priced Chevy Avalanche insurance in Detroit can be found online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
In this article, we presented many ways to save on Chevy Avalanche insurance in Detroit. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest auto insurance rates are with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
More detailed car insurance information can be found at these sites:
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance for a Dodge Journey? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)