The easiest way to find better pricing on auto insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from different companies in Detroit.
- Take a little time to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates like speeding and a low credit rating can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Continue reading for more information to help prevent high rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies. Click to view companies
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a better price, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to look at as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and many rates to choose from.
Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that the vast majority of auto insurance customers in Michigan kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and almost half have never taken the time to shop around. With the average premium in the United States being $1,847, drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they don’t believe the benefits if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Our objective in writing this article is to instruct you on how to effectively get price quotes and some money-saving tips. If you’re already insured, you will be able to save money using the techniques presented in this article. Although Michigan consumers need to learn the way insurance companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
When comparison shopping, obtaining a wide range of quotes helps increase your odds of locating more affordable insurance. Some regional insurers cannot provide online Detroit Grand Prix insurance quotes, so it’s necessary to compare prices on coverage from those companies, too.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide quotes in Detroit, MI. To get the cheapest car insurance in Detroit, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Determine discounts on Detroit auto insurance
Car insurance companies don’t list the complete list of policy discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to you.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for signing up prior to your current Grand Prix insurance policy expiring. The savings is around 10%.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers without accidents may save up to 50% more as compared to drivers with claims.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance with one insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Senior Discount – Seniors may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Accident Free – Detroit drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Participating in a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- College Student – Older children who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles can earn slightly better rates than normal.
- Government Employee Discount – Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
As a footnote on discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
A list of companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are outlined below.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including driver training, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, youthful driver, and renewal discount.
- MetLife has discounts for multi-policy, good driver, accident-free, claim-free, defensive driver, and good student.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, online quote discount, and online signing.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including AAA membership discount, education and occupation, anti-theft, pay-in-full, and good driver.
- American Family may have discounts that include good student, Steer into Savings, early bird, bundled insurance, TimeAway discount, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO discounts include air bags, membership and employees, good student, driver training, federal employee, and multi-policy.
- State Farm may offer discounts for Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, multiple autos, student away at school, safe vehicle, accident-free, and good student.
If you want affordable Pontiac Grand Prix insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts might not be offered in your area. To locate companies who offer free Pontiac Grand Prix insurance quotes in Detroit, follow this link.
Shop online but buy locally
Some people just want to visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Detroit.
After completing this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your car insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies because prices are sent to you instantly. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you need to get a rate quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
What types of auto insurance agents are in Detroit?
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a local Detroit insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents to choose from. Car insurance agents are classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent do not have single company limitations and that enables them to quote your coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part. When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from several independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a partial list of independent agents in Detroit that can possibly get you price quotes.
Detroit Auto Insurance
620 Woodward Ave – Detroit, MI 48226 – (517) 618-1693 – View Map
C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48208 – (313) 894-2144 – View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following are Detroit exclusive insurance agents willing to provide price quotes.
Michelle Sims – State Farm Insurance Agent
24970 W Outer Dr – Lincoln Park, MI 48146 – (313) 928-1348 – View Map
Selecting an car insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap quote. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Michigan?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
How Your Grand Prix Insurance Costs are Determined
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that are used to determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could result in big savings.
The list below includes some of the items that factor into your premiums.
- Deter theft and pay less – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart vehicle theft.
- Big cities mean more claims – Living in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when shopping for auto insurance. City drivers regularly have more road rage incidents and higher rates of accident claims. Less people means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate.
- Age of drivers impacts costs – Older people are more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Young drivers have been known to get distracted easily with other occupants in the car and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- How many miles do you drive? – The more miles you rack up on your Pontiac every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Most insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Autos that do not get driven very much receive better premium rates than cars that get driven a lot. Improper usage on your Grand Prix may be costing you. Ask your agent if your auto insurance policy correctly shows annual mileage.
- Cautious drivers pay better prices – Having just one speeding ticket can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Good drivers receive lower rates than bad drivers. Drivers with flagrant citations like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find they need to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Liability insurance risk factors – Liability insurance kicks in when you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Drivers with high credit save on auto insurance – Your credit score is likely to be a major factor in determining your rates. Insureds with high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with worse credit. Therefore, if your credit history can be improved, you could be paying less to insure your Pontiac Grand Prix by repairing your credit.
- Save by driving vehicles with better crash test results – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safer cars result in less severe injuries and fewer serious injuries means less claims paid and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Pontiac is rated at a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
Three reasons to insure your Pontiac Grand Prix
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Detroit, insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Pontiac Grand Prix, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Pontiac at a more expensive rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for medical bills that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in Michigan is overpaying over $850 per year so shop around at least once a year to save money.
Find cheap auto insurance rates by comparing often
In this article, we presented many tips how you can compare Pontiac Grand Prix insurance premium rates in Detroit. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. These smaller insurers often have lower prices on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, an insured cut collision coverage to discover at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
More detailed auto insurance information is located by following these links:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Silverado in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for High School Students in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Auto Insurance for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)