Do you want to learn to get lower-priced Ford Freestar insurance in Detroit? Finding cheaper Detroit Ford Freestar insurance quotes online may be difficult for beginners to comparison shopping online. With literally dozens of insurers to choose from, how are we expected to be able to compare the different rates to find better prices?
Steps to saving on Ford Freestar insurance in Detroit
It takes a little time, but the best way to get affordable Ford Freestar insurance is to start comparing prices yearly from different companies that insure vehicles in Detroit.
- Step 1: Read and learn about car insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that increase rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and an imperfect credit score can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Step 4: Give notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment and a completed application to your new carrier. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
A valuable tip to remember is to try to use identical limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get rate quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
Remarkably, a study showed that over 70% of Michigan drivers have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. U.S. insurance shoppers could pocket almost $859 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they think it’s difficult to compare rate quotes online.
It’s a good habit to get comparison quotes once or twice a year because prices change frequently. Just because you had the best quotes on Ford Freestar insurance in Detroit at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the tricks you need to know to find the best coverage while lowering your premiums.
Just keep in mind that comparing more quotes increases the chance that you will find a lower rate. Some regional insurers cannot provide online price quotes, so it’s important to compare price quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Michigan. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Save money by taking advantage of discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always list their entire list of discounts very clearly, so below is a list both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Detroit car insurance online.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to monitor vehicle usage by installing a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
- Own a Home – Just owning your own home can help you save on auto insurance because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance on a new Freestar can get you a discount because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some companies provide a discount for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current Freestar insurance policy. The savings is around 10%.
You can save money using discounts, but most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will definitely reduce your policy premiums.
Large auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- GEICO may offer discounts for membership and employees, federal employee, military active duty, multi-vehicle, and anti-theft.
- Mercury Insurance offers premium reductions for accident-free, age of vehicle, professional/association, multi-policy, annual mileage, multi-car, and ease of repair.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for homeowner, distant student, bundle discounts, early shopping, mature driver, alternative fuel, and switch companies.
- Auto-Owners Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, safe driver, group or association, company car, mature driver, and safe vehicle.
- Liberty Mutual discounts include multi-car, new graduate, teen driver discount, multi-policy, safety features, new move discount, and newly married.
- SAFECO has discounts for bundle discounts, anti-theft, drive less, teen safety rewards, homeowner, and accident prevention training.
- Progressive offers discounts including online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, and good student.
- USAA may include discounts for good student, safe driver, family discount, multi-policy, military installation, multi-vehicle, and vehicle storage.
When quoting, ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts listed above may not be offered in Detroit. To see a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Michigan, click this link.
Auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high insurance cost for a Ford Freestar in Detroit, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your car with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Ford for a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays as much as $850 per year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
It’s not one size fits all
Always remember that when buying coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Can I insure my car for more than it’s worth?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Michigan?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- Does my Ford Freestar qualify for pleasure use?
- Is a driver training discount available?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Ford Freestar?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Getting quotes from local Detroit insurance agencies
Many people still like to buy from a local agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent. Buying insurance from neighborhood agents is still important in Detroit.
After filling out this simple form, your information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Detroit who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to search for an agent because prices are sent to your email. You can get cheaper car insurance rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you have a need to compare prices from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Detroit for you
When researching a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s helpful to know the different agency structures and how they are slightly different. Car insurance agencies are either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent insurance agents are not restricted to one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through many different car insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If prices rise, they simply switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison. Many write coverage with small mutual carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Featured below are Detroit independent agencies that may be able to provide pricing information.
- Soboh Insurance
16800 W Warren Ave – Detroit, MI 48228 – (313) 581-3400 – View Map
- C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48208 – (313) 894-2144 – View Map
- Michigan SR22 Insurance – Select Insurance Group
Atwater St – Detroit, MI 48226 – (877) 949-7873 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive work for only one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years mostly because of loyalty to the company rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Detroit that can give you rate quotes.
- Angela Hughes – State Farm Insurance Agent
14511 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48235 – (313) 862-7800 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Shauna Johnson
18711 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 272-2020 – View Map
- Anthony Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
23221 Plymouth Rd – Detroit, MI 48239 – (313) 533-2440 – View Map
Picking an insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?