Are you at wits end from trying to scrape together enough money to buy car insurance? You are in the same boat as many other Michigan drivers.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the majority of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and 38% of customers have never taken the time to shop around. Michigan drivers could save almost $3,840 every year, but most just don’t grasp the amount of savings they would get if they switched. There are many insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, so many choices can make it hard to locate the cheapest rates for Lincoln LS insurance in Detroit.
Consumers need to shop coverage around yearly because prices are variable and change quite frequently. If you had the best deal on Lincoln LS insurance in Detroit at your last renewal you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re going to learn the right way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Choosing the best rates in Detroit can be made easier if you know where to look. If you have a current car insurance policy, you will definitely be able to get lower rates using the techniques covered below. Comparison shoppers only need an understanding of the most time-saving way to compare prices online from multiple companies.
Why Informed Consumers Pay Less for Lincoln LS Insurance
When buying insurance it’s important to understand some of the elements that help calculate insurance rates. When consumers understand what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower premium levels.
The factors shown below are a few of the “ingredients” that factor into your rate level.
- Alarms and GPS tracking lowers insurance rates – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
- Insure car and home with the same company – Lots of insurance companies afford better rates to policyholders who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you may still want to compare Lincoln LS rates in Detroit to guarantee you are still saving the most. You may still be able to find better rates by buying insurance from a different company.
- Your vocation is a factor – Do you work in a high-stress field? Occupations like real estate brokers, executives, and accountants are shown to have higher average rates attributed to intense work-related stress and long work hours. Other occupations such as professors, historians and homemakers receive lower rates.
- High performance equals high prices – The type of vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. The most favorable rates will generally be found on the lowest performance passenger models, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Buy a safe car and pay less – Safe vehicles get lower rates. Vehicles built for safety reduce the chance of injuries and fewer injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims passed on to you as lower rates. If your Lincoln LS has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- No claims equals lower prices – If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance companies in Michigan give the best rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is designed for larger claims.
- Youthful drivers cost more – Drivers with little experience have been known to be easily distracted when driving with friends so they pay higher insurance rates. Older people are more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and usually have better credit.
How to buy Detroit Lincoln LS insurance online
Finding cheaper Lincoln LS auto insurance rates is a fairly straight forward process. The only thing you need to do is spend a few minutes to get quotes to discover which company has affordable Detroit car insurance quotes.
Doing online rate quotes comparisons is so easy that it makes it a waste of time to physically go to insurance agents’ offices. Comparing Lincoln LS insurance rate quotes online has made agencies unnecessary unless you have a need for the personal advice that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Drivers can compare the best prices online and have a local agent actually service the policy.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer free quotes in Detroit, MI. If you want to find cheaper auto insurance in Detroit, MI, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Three reasons car insurance is important
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Lincoln in Detroit, car insurance is required by state law in Michigan and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, the majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your vehicle with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Lincoln for a lot more money and force you to pay the higher price.
Third, insurance protects your Lincoln and your assets. It will also provide coverage for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your LS definitely exceed the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. Today the average American driver overpays as much as $700 annually so it’s very important to do a rate comparison every year to ensure rates are inline.
Cheaper rates with discounts
Not too many consumers would say auto insurance is affordable, but you may find discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be manually applied in order for you to get them.
- Driving Data Discount – Policyholders that allow data collection to track where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
- Paperwork-free – Certain insurance companies will give a small break for completing your application digitally online.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Seat Belt Usage – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a driver safety course can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Detroit Homeowners Pay Less – Owning your own home or condo can save a few bucks because owning a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Life Insurance – Larger insurance carriers have better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents have much lower rates as compared to drivers with a long claim history.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Larger auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are shown below.
- State Farm has discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, accident-free, and driver’s education.
- American Family includes discounts for air bags, multi-vehicle, early bird, Steer into Savings, and mySafetyValet.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including pay-in-full, multi-car, anti-theft, good driver, and multi-policy.
- GEICO may include discounts for daytime running lights, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, air bags, and driver training.
- Mercury Insurance has savings for annual mileage, professional/association, age of vehicle, location of vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including business and professional, bundle discounts, teen driver, multi-car, and switch companies.
- Progressive offers discounts for good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in Detroit. To see insurers with discount rates in Detroit, follow this link.
Compare rates but buy from a local Detroit insurance agency
Some consumers would rather have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! Licensed agents can help you build your policy and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower rates but also keep your business local.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will give you bids for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to leave your house since price quotes are sent to you instantly. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking an insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Which family members are covered?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
What type of Detroit car insurance agent is right for you?
When looking for a local Detroit insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Insurance agents are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can handle insurance, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. They are well trained in insurance sales which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Detroit who may provide you with rate quotes.
Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If your premiums go up, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing rate quotes, you need to get quotes from independent agents to maximize your price options.
Shown below are Detroit independent insurance agencies willing to provide price quote information.
Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
Don’t give up on cheap rates
Budget-friendly insurance in Detroit is available on the web and from local agencies, so get free Detroit car insurance quotes from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers may not have the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to save on Lincoln LS insurance in Detroit. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable Lincoln LS insurance quotes. You may even discover the best premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These companies can often provide lower prices in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
As you quote Detroit car insurance, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut full coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Steps to finding low-cost Lincoln LS insurance in Detroit
Really, the only way to get cheaper Lincoln LS insurance in Detroit is to compare prices at least once a year from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Michigan. You can shop around by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many rating criteria that are responsible for high rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and an unfavorable credit rating can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates for many different companies. Start a quote
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
A tip to remember is to compare similar coverage information on each price quote and and to compare as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
More tips and info about insurance is located in these articles:
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 70 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Safe Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Auto Insurance for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Car Insurance for Handicapped Drivers? (FAQ)
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)