We don’t have to point out that fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. People who compare rates at least once a year are highly likely to switch companies because they have a good chance of finding lower rate quotes. A survey found that people who compared prices regularly saved approximately $3,500 over four years compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding the lowest rates on insurance in Detroit is why you’re here, then knowing how to get rate quotes and compare insurance can help make the process easier and more efficient.
The recommended way to find affordable car insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from insurance carriers in Detroit. You can compare rates by following these steps.
First, try to learn a little about the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to drop your rates. Many factors that result in higher prices such as traffic citations and an unacceptable credit rating can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies.
Third, compare the price quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate and change companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is to compare similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Detroit can be much easier if you know how to start. If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, use these money-saving tips to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Vehicle owners just have to understand the proper methods to compare rate quotes using one simple form.
Seven factors that determine insurance rates
Lots of things are part of the equation when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, although others are not as apparent such as your marital status or your commute time.
High performance vehicles cost more to insure – The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in the rate you pay. The most favorable rates tend to be for smaller low performance passenger cars, but your final cost has many other factors.
Reserve claims for larger damages – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you shouldn’t be surprised to get either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance companies in Michigan give the lowest premiums to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Do you have enough liability coverage? – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance provides coverage when a jury decides you are liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Prevent theft and lower car insurance rates – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help stop your car from being stolen.
Lower premiums with uninterrupted coverage – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. Then you may be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Michigan department of motor vehicles.
Improve your credit score and save – Having a bad credit score can be a huge factor in calculating your car insurance rates. Drivers who have high credit scores tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with worse credit. So if your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your Audi S8 by improving your credit score.
Drive less and pay lower prices – Driving more miles in a year the higher your rate. A lot of insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles receive lower rates than those used for commuting. It’s a smart idea to ensure your car insurance policy correctly shows annual mileage. An improperly rated S8 can result in significantly higher rates.
Audi S8 insurance claim data – Companies take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle when they file their rates in each state. Models that tend to have higher loss trends will have higher rates for specific coverages. The information below illustrates the historical loss data for Audi S8 vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is equal to 100. Numbers below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent claims or larger claims.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Audi S8 4dr 4WD||288||266|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
The most recommended method to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to understand all the major auto insurance companies provide online access to compare their rates. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information such as if the car is leased, the type of vehicles you drive, if you have an active license, and your general credit rating. That information is instantly provided to all major companies and you will get price comparisons instantly.
To start a rate quote now, click here and enter the information requested.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Michigan. To find cheap auto insurance in Detroit, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Three good reasons to insure your Audi vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Audi S8 in Detroit, insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability if you want to drive legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your S8 has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Audi for a much higher rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects not only your Audi S8 but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying auto insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $850 per year so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
These discounts can lower your auto insurance quotes
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you might already qualify for some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some need to be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Senior Citizens – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for lower premium rates.
- Paperwork-free – Some of the larger companies provide a small discount for completing your application over the internet.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you could earn a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- ABS Brakes – Vehicles with ABS braking systems or traction control can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Despite the fact that it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
Popular auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are shown below.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-policy, online signing, good student, and homeowner.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, drive less, multi-car, teen safety rewards, anti-theft, and homeowner.
- American Family has savings for good driver, air bags, TimeAway discount, accident-free, mySafetyValet, and Steer into Savings.
- MetLife includes discounts for claim-free, good driver, good student, defensive driver, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for defensive driver, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, driver training, and daytime running lights.
- The Hartford discounts include bundle, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, air bag, driver training, anti-theft, and good student.
When quoting, ask all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in Detroit. If you would like to see a list of companies with discount rates in Detroit, click here to view.
Insurance agent or online?
A small number of people would rather have an agent’s advice and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents can make sure you are properly covered and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the best rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this quick form, your insurance data is immediately sent to companies in Detroit who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you can always go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just the price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- How are they compensated?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
Types of car insurance agents
If you are searching for an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they work. Agencies in Detroit can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either type can insure your vehicles properly, but it’s a good idea to understand how they are different because it may have an impact on buying decisions.
Agents that choose to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are exclusive agencies in Detroit who can help you get rate quotes.
Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies so they can write business amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier which requires no work on your part. If you need cheaper insurance rates, you will want to include at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Detroit that can give you price quote information.
Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
If you feel you receive good answers to your questions and an acceptable price quote, you may have found an auto insurance agent that is reliable enough to insure your vehicles. But remember, it’s your coverage and you can terminate coverage at any time so don’t assume that you’re stuck with any specific agency for the full term.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When choosing insurance from an agent or online for your personal vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might point out whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Is there a penalty for late payment?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my Audi S8 to commute?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- If my Audi S8 is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
A little work can save a LOT of money
People change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
When trying to cut insurance costs, don’t be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, someone dropped full coverage and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, but do not skimp to save money.
In this article, we presented many ideas to compare Audi S8 insurance premium rates in Detroit. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the best premium rates are with some of the lesser-known companies.
More information can be found at these links:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)