A recent auto insurance study discovered that most Michigan auto insurance customers have bought auto insurance from the same company for more than four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could save as much as 47% every year, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they switch to a new company.
To save the most money, the best way to save on Dodge Stratus insurance in Detroit is to regularly compare prices from insurers that insure vehicles in Michigan. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn about policy coverages and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a negative credit history can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides instructions to prevent expensive rate increases and get additional discounts.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies. Get quotes now
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a better price, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to the new insurer. Don’t forget to keep the new certificate of insurance in your glove compartment.
An important part of this process is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical deductibles and limits on each quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Discounts for lower-cost auto insurance quotes
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you may find discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Insureds without accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accidents.
- Smart Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount well after school through age 25.
- E-sign – A few larger online companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up on the internet.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one isn’t a discount, but some insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before hitting you with a surcharge with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to the accident.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can combine your home and auto policy with one insurance company you may save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Low Miles Discount – Fewer annual miles on your Dodge could earn better auto insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a course teaching defensive driver skills can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way.
If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies with significant discounts in Detroit, click here to view.
How much does Dodge Stratus insurance in Detroit, MI cost?
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Michigan. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
What Affects Dodge Stratus Insurance Rates?
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for insurance. If you have some idea of what determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that can earn you big savings.
- Add-on coverages can cost a lot – Policies have extra bells and whistles that can add up if you aren’t diligent. Coverage for things like roadside assistance, towing coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships are some examples. They may seem good when buying your policy, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Liability protection limits on your policy – Liability insurance provides coverage if you are ruled to be at fault for physical damage or personal injury to other. It will provide legal defense coverage to defend your case. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Cars with good safety ratings save money – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts and thus lower rates.
- Continuous coverage lowers prices – Driving with no insurance is illegal and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance lapse for non-payment. In addition to paying higher premiums, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in fines and jail time.
- High comp and collision deductibles lower prices – Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your Dodge from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be a broken side mirror, damage from fire, and burglary. The deductibles you choose state the amount of money you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. The more expense the insured has to pay upfront, the less your insurance will be.
- Optional features that lower insurance rates – Driving a car with an alarm system can save you some money. Advanced theft deterrents like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help stop vehicle theft.
- Insurance companies don’t like frequent claims – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance companies in Michigan award the lowest premiums to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
Can’t I compare rate quotes from local Detroit auto insurance agents?
A small number of people still like to visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that Agents will help you protect your assets and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting local agencies is especially important in Detroit.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance data is immediately sent to participating agents in Detroit who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go to you. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Different types of car insurance agents in Detroit
If you are wanting to purchase auto insurance from a local Detroit insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance agents in Detroit are either independent or exclusive. Both provide auto insurance policies, but it’s important to know the subtle differences since it can impact the selection process.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not limited to a single company so as a result can place your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent. When comparison shopping, you absolutely need to contact a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Listed below are independent agents in Detroit who may be able to give you pricing information.
16800 W Warren Ave – Detroit, MI 48228 – (313) 581-3400 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only write with one company like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are Detroit exclusive insurance agents that are able to give price quotes.
Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agency should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in Detroit should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
Here’s why auto insurance is not optional
Even though Detroit Stratus insurance rates can get expensive, auto insurance serves an important purpose.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Dodge, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Insurance safeguards both your Dodge and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Dodge as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $865 each year so it’s important to compare rates at every renewal to save money.
You can find affordable coverage
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can find lower-cost Dodge Stratus insurance in Detroit. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even find the best car insurance rates are with a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
Lower-priced Dodge Stratus insurance in Detroit can be bought online and with local Detroit insurance agents, so you need to shop Detroit auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent agencies.
More detailed insurance information can be found at these sites:
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Safe Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Detroit? (DetroitInsure.com)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)