How many times have you said it’s time to compare low-cost auto insurance rates in Detroit, MI? Detroit buyers have lots of choices when searching for affordable Dodge Caliber insurance. They can either waste time struggling with agents to compare prices or save time using the internet to get rate quotes. There are more efficient ways to find auto insurance online so we’re going to tell you the best way to get price quotes for a Dodge and locate the best price possible from both online companies and Detroit agents.
The auto insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Michigan. To find cheap auto insurance in Michigan, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Save a ton by taking advantage of discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not advertise all their discounts very clearly, so we researched both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Detroit car insurance online.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner can help you save on insurance because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Online Discount – Certain insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new Caliber can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates when getting a Detroit car insurance quote.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Dodge Caliber insurance rates with and without discounts applied. The data is based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, Michigan state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for good student, alternative fuel, switch companies, electronic funds transfer, pay in full, homeowner, and mature driver.
- State Farm may offer discounts for defensive driving training, good student, multiple autos, multiple policy, anti-theft, accident-free, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including good student, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, exclusive group savings, new move discount, and safety features.
- MetLife offers discounts including accident-free, good driver, defensive driver, multi-policy, and claim-free.
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
Double check with each company or agent what discounts are available to you. Some discounts may not apply to policies in your area. If you would like to see a list of insurers who offer online Dodge Caliber insurance quotes in Michigan, click this link.
Rates and statistics
The data table shown below outlines estimates of insurance rates for Dodge Caliber models. Learning a little about how rate quotes are figured helps drivers make informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in zip code location which can alter auto insurance rates significantly.
The chart below demonstrates how deductible levels and can affect Dodge Caliber insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The data assumes a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The diagram below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault collisions influence Dodge Caliber yearly insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The data is based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Caliber insurance prices with full coverage and liability only. The premiums are based on no claims or violations, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no definitive formula to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s assume your Dodge Caliber settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $300 annually to have full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Getting quotes from local Detroit car insurance agents
Many people just prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is just fine! Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your car insurance coverage. You never need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered to you instantly. If you want to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good provider should depend on more than just a low price. Any agent in Detroit should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Detroit?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reputable agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Detroit may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both write car insurance policies, but it’s important to point out how they are different because it can influence the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can only place business with one company like State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Consumers often buy from exclusive agents mostly because of loyalty to the company rather than having low rates.
The following are Detroit exclusive agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
- John Cash – State Farm Insurance Agent
19203 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 537-1200 – View Map
- State Farm – Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-3172 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparing car insurance rates, you absolutely need to compare prices from at least one independent agent for the best price selection. They also have the ability to place coverage with mutual insurance companies which could offer lower prices.
Listed below are Detroit independent agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Clark Insurance Agency
2711 E Jefferson Ave #206 – Detroit, MI 48207 – (313) 259-6600 – View Map
- L A Insurance
6248 Michigan Ave – Detroit, MI 48210 – (313) 896-1000 – View Map
- Detroit Auto Insurance
620 Woodward Ave – Detroit, MI 48226 – (517) 618-1693 – View Map
Good Decisions Result in Lower Insurance Prices
Lots of things are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but some are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the factors that help calculate auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that can earn you lower auto insurance prices.
Men tend to take more risk – Statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. This data doesn’t prove that men are worse drivers. They both tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. In addition to higher claims, males also get higher numbers of serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
The diagram below shows the difference between Dodge Caliber yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no claims, a clean driving record, full coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Lower performance equals lower insurance costs – The performance level of the car or truck you need to insure makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. Economy passenger models usually have the lowest premiums, but your final cost has many other factors.
The following chart is based on a married female driver age 50, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It compares Dodge Caliber rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of performance risks.
- Insure your auto and home with one company – Many insurers allow lower prices to customers that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. Even if you qualify for this discount already, drivers will still want to compare other Detroit Caliber insurance rates to guarantee you are still saving the most. Consumers may save money by splitting coverages up.
Expect high rates for teens – Teen drivers in Michigan are proven to be less responsible when driving with friends so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Adding a teen driver to your policy can be quite pricey. More experienced drivers are shown to be more cautious, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
The data below assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Miles driven impacts rates – The higher the miles on your Dodge every year the higher your rate. A lot of companies calculate rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance coverage states annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money. A policy that improperly rates your Caliber can cost quite a bit.
- Policy add-ons may not be needed – Insurance policies have a lot of extra bells and whistles that may not really be needed but may not be useful. Insurance for things like rental car reimbursement, towing, and extra life insurance coverage may be costing you every month. You may think they are a good idea at first, but if you have no use for them remove them from your policy.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost, car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Michigan is overpaying over $820 a year so you should quote rates at every renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Quote. Compare. Save.
We’ve covered a lot of ways to lower your Dodge Caliber insurance prices in Detroit. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest prices are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Cheaper Dodge Caliber insurance in Detroit is available from both online companies and with local Detroit insurance agents, so get free Detroit car insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these smaller providers prefer to sell through local independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims or even high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
How to buy low-cost Dodge Caliber insurance in Detroit
The easiest way to find discount auto insurance rates is to begin comparing prices regularly from companies that insure vehicles in Detroit. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
- First, read about how your policy works and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that increase rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates now
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application for the new policy. As soon as you have the new policy, place your new proof of insurance certificate with your registration paperwork.
A crucial key to this process is to try to use identical deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and the best price selection.
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Nurses in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for High School Students in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Auto Insurance for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)