The easiest way to save on Honda HR-V insurance is to compare prices regularly from different companies who sell auto insurance in Detroit. Rate comparisons can be done by following these steps.
Step 1: Try to understand how car insurance works and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that drive up the price like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a not-so-good credit history can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article provides instructions to prevent high rates and find hidden discounts.
Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple companies. View prices
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing rates and determine if cheaper HR-V coverage is available in Detroit. If you find a better price and change companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is to use the same amount of coverage on each quote request and and to look at every insurance company. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that almost 70% of insureds in Michigan renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find lower-cost rates. The average driver in the United States could save an average of nearly 47% each year by just shopping around, but they feel it’s too difficult to compare other rate quotes.
When price shopping your coverage, making a lot of price comparisons increases the chance that you will find a lower rate. Some companies don’t provide price estimates online, so you also need to get price quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Michigan. To find the best auto insurance in Detroit, we suggest you click on several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Take advantage of these discounts on Honda HR-V insurance in Detroit
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there are discounts available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but some need to be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a driver safety course could cut 5% off your bill if your company offers it.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Detroit Homeowners Discount – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- E-sign – Certain companies will give you a small discount simply for signing on the internet.
- Active Military Service – Having a deployed family member may lower your rates slightly.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it’s just not the way it works.
Some companies that may include these money-saving discounts include:
When getting free Detroit auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to all companies you are considering to give you their best rates. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policyholders in your area. For a list of auto insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Michigan, follow this link.
Why you need quality insurance for your Honda vehicle
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Detroit, insuring your vehicle is required for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your HR-V, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your Honda for a lot more money and make you pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. On average, a vehicle owner in Detroit overpays as much as $865 each year so you should quote rates at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
How to know if you need help
When it comes to a policy for your vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if you could use an agent’s help.
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Michigan minimum liability coverage?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Detroit?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
Some consumers still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find lower rates but also keep your business local. Buying from and supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Detroit.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Detroit who can give free rate quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered instantly to you. You can find better rates AND a local agent. If you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
When looking for a local Detroit insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Auto insurance agents are categorized either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are appointed with more than one company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, an independent agent can move your coverage which requires no work on your part.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to get insurance quotes from several independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many can place coverage with smaller regional carriers that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Detroit that may be able to give you free auto insurance quotes.
- Cagwin Insurance Agency
3031 W Grand Blvd #320 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-9147 – View Map
- LA Insurance
2922 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 871-0100 – View Map
- Soboh Insurance
16800 W Warren Ave – Detroit, MI 48228 – (313) 581-3400 – View Map
Exclusive insurance agents generally can only insure with one company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Some insured continue to buy from exclusive agents partially due to the prominent brand name instead of buying on price only.
Listed below are Detroit exclusive agents willing to provide price quotes.
- Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Shauna Johnson
18711 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 272-2020 – View Map
- PD Dandnaik – State Farm Insurance Agent
W, 7725 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 554-1500 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agent requires more thought than just the price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- How many companies do they write for?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Detroit?