Really, the only way to get the cheapest Ford Five Hundred insurance is to compare prices annually from providers who sell auto insurance in Detroit.
Step 1: Read about how insurance works and the measures you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that cause high rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an unacceptable credit history can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Keep reading for tips to find cheap rates and find overlooked discounts.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy to determine if you can save on Five Hundred insurance in Detroit. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to analyze every insurance company. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don’t want you to look at other companies. Insureds who compare rates once a year are highly likely to switch companies because there is a good chance of finding a more affordable policy. A recent car insurance study revealed that people who routinely compared rates saved $860 a year compared to other drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the lowest price for insurance is why you’re here, then having some insight into how to quote prices and compare cheaper coverage can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
Affordable Ford insurance prices in Detroit
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Detroit, MI. If your goal is to find the best cheap car insurance in Detroit, MI, it’s highly recommended you get prices from several of them to get the lowest price.
Lower the Price of Insurance with These Tips
Many different elements are part of the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility. One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of some of the elements that help calculate your insurance rates. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower premium levels.
The items below are a few of the “ingredients” insurance companies consider when setting rates.
Never go without insurance – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a quick way to pay more for insurance. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Michigan motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Low stress job equals lower premiums – Careers such as real estate brokers, business owners, and financial analysts have higher premium rates due to intense work-related stress and lots of time spent away from family. Conversely, jobs like farmers, historians and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
Big cities mean more claims – Being located in a small town can save you money when trying to find low car insurance rates. Fewer drivers corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims. Drivers in populated Michigan areas have to deal with more aggressive driving styles and much longer commute distances. The longer drive time means more chances of being involved in an auto accident.
What type of car, truck or SUV do you drive? – The make and model of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a big difference in your auto insurance rates. The most favorable rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger models, but your final cost has many other factors.
Alarms and GPS tracking lowers rates – Buying a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft deterrent systems such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Bump up comp and collision deductibles to lower rates – The deductibles you choose define how much you are required to pay in the event of a claim. Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a stationary object, fire damage, or theft of your vehicle. The higher the amount you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Reduce your car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance can be pricey, but you can get discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but occasionally some discounts must be specially asked for before you get the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or former government employment can save as much as 8% but check with your company.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a course in safe driver may get you a small discount if you qualify.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Professional Memberships – Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your next car insurance statement.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a new policy before your current expiration date. You could save around 10% when you buy Detroit car insurance online.
- Multiple Cars – Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles may allow you to get lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers that enable companies to track driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might get better premium rates if they show good driving skills.
- Sign Online – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 get Detroit car insurance digitally online.
Please keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
A list of companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts including multiple autos, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and good student.
- Nationwide may include discounts for defensive driving, easy pay, good student, business or organization, and multi-policy.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-theft, good student, air bags, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, and daytime running lights.
- AAA offers premium reductions for good student, multi-policy, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good driver, and multi-car.
- 21st Century has savings for automatic seat belts, 55 and older, theft prevention, good student, anti-lock brakes, and defensive driver.
- The Hartford offers discounts for good student, driver training, bundle, air bag, and vehicle fuel type.
When quoting, ask all the companies to apply every possible discount. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in your area.
Buying insurance from Detroit auto insurance agents
Some people just want to have an agent’s advice and that can be a smart move Professional insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Detroit who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered directly to you. If you have a need to compare prices from one company in particular, just go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurer requires more thought than just the price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Michigan?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
Exclusive and independent Detroit auto insurance agents
When finding a local insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agents in Detroit are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can handle insurance, but it’s important to point out the subtle differences since it can affect the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only place business with one company such as Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years partially due to the brand name rather than low rates.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Detroit willing to provide price quotes.
- John Cash – State Farm Insurance Agent
19203 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 537-1200 – View Map
- Charlotte Knight – State Farm Insurance Agent
7100 W Seven Mile Rd – Detroit, MI 48221 – (313) 340-9000 – View Map
- State Farm – Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-3172 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent often have affiliation with several companies so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, you should always get rate quotes from a few independent agents to get the best comparison. Most also have access to less well-known companies which may provide better rates.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in Detroit willing to provide price quotes.
- Insurance Services of Michigan
615 Griswold St Griswold – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 963-7170 – View Map
- L.A. Insurance Agency 150
14701 Mack Ave – Detroit, MI 48215 – (313) 884-8888 – View Map
- J Healan Baker Insurance
645 Griswold St # 2015 – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 963-0480 – View Map
If you get good feedback to these questions and an acceptable price quote, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that is professional and can properly insure your vehicles. Just keep in mind you are entitled to cancel a policy any time you want so don’t assume that you are obligated to any specific agency with no way out.
Get the best coverage at the lowest price
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high rates after DUI convictions, poor customer service or questionable increases in premium. Regardless of your reason, switching companies can be pretty painless.
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Some insurance companies don’t offer internet price quotes and these regional insurance providers work with local independent agencies. Cost effective Ford Five Hundred insurance is available both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection.
Additional information is located at the links below
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Teachers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for College Students in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Detroit, Michigan? (FAQ)
- Who has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes in Detroit, MI? (DetroitInsure.com)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)