It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Consumers who do rate comparisons will most likely switch to a new company because of the good chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who did price comparisons regularly saved $850 each year compared to those who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the lowest price on auto insurance is your ultimate objective, understanding how to compare cheaper coverage can save time and money.
Really, the only way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates in Detroit is to compare quotes annually from companies in Michigan. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
- Take a little time to learn about coverages and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many risk factors that cause rate increases like at-fault accidents and a less-than-favorable credit score can be improved by paying attention to minor details. Read the full article for more ideas to help reduce prices and get bigger discounts.
- Request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote prices from many different companies.
- Compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Detroit. If you find a better price and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current coverage and submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new agent or company. When you receive it, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to use the same amount of coverage on each quote request and to quote with as many different companies as possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and the best rate selection.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Detroit is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you are already insured or need a new policy, use these money-saving tips to lower your rates and possibly find even better coverage. Comparison shoppers just need to learn the quickest way to buy car insurance over the internet.
The most recommended method to get policy rate comparisons for Chevy Venture insurance in Detroit takes advantage of the fact car insurance companies allow for online access to compare rate quotes. All you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details like how old drivers are, how much you drive, if the car is leased, and the type of vehicles you drive. The rating information is then sent to multiple different insurance companies and you should receive rate quotes very quickly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Detroit.
The providers in the list below can provide free quotes in Detroit, MI. To find the best car insurance in Detroit, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Discount Detroit car insurance rates
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there’s a good chance there are discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but some need to be manually applied before you get the savings.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- No Accidents – Insureds with no claims or accidents pay much less in comparison to drivers with a long claim history.
- Distant College Student Discount – Youth drivers who live away from home to go to college and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Senior Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 can get reduced rates.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used Venture can save up to 30% because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Detroit auto insurance quote.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings as much as 30%.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child participate in a local driver’s education class if it’s offered in school.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will help lower your premiums.
A few companies that may include most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be available to policyholders in every state.
Why you need car insurance
Despite the high cost, buying car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will require that you carry insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so compare rate quotes each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Do I need an insurance agent?
A lot of people just want to sit down and talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get lower car insurance rates and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Detroit who will return price quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right company should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Any good agent in Detroit should know the answers to these questions.
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?