It’s well known that car insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Consumers who shop around for the cheapest price are very likely to buy a new policy because they have good chances of getting low-cost coverage. A recent auto insurance study revealed that people who routinely shopped around saved an average of $70 a month compared to people who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If saving the most money on auto insurance in Detroit is your goal, then having a grasp of how to quote prices and compare auto insurance can help make the process easier.
If you want to save money, the best way to find the cheapest price for Chevy Sonic insurance is to compare prices once a year from different companies who provide car insurance in Detroit. You can shop around by completing these steps.
Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about policy coverages and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause rate increases like speeding and a not-so-good credit rating can be amended by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Read the full article for tips to get affordable coverage and find overlooked discounts.
Step 2: Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
A good tip to remember is to try to use identical coverages on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as possible. This enables a level playing field and plenty of rates choose from.
If you’re already insured or just want a better rate, follow these tips to get lower rates and still have adequate protection. Finding and comparing the cheapest coverage in Detroit is easy to do. Comparison shoppers just have to learn the quickest way to get comparison quotes online from multiple companies.
Most companies give pricing from their websites. Comparing prices online for Chevy Sonic insurance in Detroit is fairly straightforward because you just enter the coverage amounts you desire on the page. Once you submit the form, the quote system collects your credit score and driving record and returns a price.
This makes comparing rates easy, and it’s necessary to do this if you are searching for the best rate possible.
To quickly find out what other companies charge, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you type in the insurance coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this guarantees you will have an apples-to-apples comparison for similar coverage.
The companies shown below offer quotes in Michigan. If your goal is to find cheaper auto insurance in Detroit, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Get cheap rates with discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available that you may not even know about. A few discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some must be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Professional Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- Telematics Data – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to track where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may qualify for a small discount on rates.
- College Student Discount – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Detroit and do not take a car to college could qualify for this discount.
- Smart Student Discounts – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like GEICO, State Farm, and Progressive will forgive one accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce your overall bill.
A list of car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, safe vehicle, passive restraint, multiple policy, good student, and student away at school.
- American Family includes discounts for good student, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, early bird, Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, seat belt use, air bags, good student, and emergency military deployment.
- 21st Century may include discounts for driver training, 55 and older, automatic seat belts, homeowners, and defensive driver.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, homeowner, and multi-policy.
If you need cheaper Detroit auto insurance quotes, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policies in every state.
Three good reasons to insure your Chevy vehicle
Even though Detroit Sonic insurance rates can get expensive, auto insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, most banks will have a requirement that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a much higher rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your Chevy but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $865 each year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison once a year at a minimum to save money.
Everyone needs different insurance coverages
Always keep in mind that when comparing a policy, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
For instance, these questions might point out if your situation may require specific advice.
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Detroit?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Independent versus exclusive auto insurance agents
Many people still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Professional insurance agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this short form, the quote information gets sent to participating agents in Detroit who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If you wish to get a price quote from one company in particular, just visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Picking the best company requires more thought than just the premium amount. Here are some questions you should ask.
- How often do they review coverages?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Detroit?
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you’re trying to find local Detroit agents, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they function. Auto insurance agencies are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can do a good job, but we need to point out why they differ because it can influence which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are contracted to one company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. These agents receive extensive training in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Some insured continue to use the same agent partially due to loyalty to the company rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Detroit that can give you rate quotes.
- Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Shauna Johnson
18711 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 272-2020 – View Map
- Michelle Sims – State Farm Insurance Agent
24970 W Outer Dr – Lincoln Park, MI 48146 – (313) 928-1348 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent do not write with just one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing rate quotes, you need to include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Many write coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which can be an advantage.
Below are independent insurance agents in Detroit willing to provide rate quotes.
- Midwest Underwriters Insurance
19640 Harper Ave – Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236 – (313) 884-8600 – View Map
- LA Insurance
2922 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 871-0100 – View Map
- Woodward Insurance
1529 Woodward Ave – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 962-6200 – View Map
If you get good feedback for all questions you ask as well as inexpensive Chevrolet Sonic insurance in Detroit quotes, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that is reputable and can insure your vehicles. It’s important to know that you are entitled to cancel a policy whenever you wish so never feel that you are obligated to a policy with no way to switch.