Sadly, over 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and almost half have never compared rates with other companies. Detroit drivers can cut their rates by about 65% a year, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to find cheap insurance rates.
If you want to save money, the best way to find more affordable car insurance rates in Detroit is to compare quotes once a year from companies who sell auto insurance in Michigan.
- Take a little time to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many things that cause high rates like speeding tickets, accidents and an imperfect credit score can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates for many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Notify your current company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a completed application for the new coverage. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the new certificate verifying coverage with the vehicle registration.
A key point to remember is to make sure you’re comparing similar limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables a fair price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
If you have auto insurance now, you will definitely be able to reduce premiums using this information. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Detroit can really be easy if you know what you’re doing. But Michigan car owners do need to know how companies sell online because it can help you find the best coverage.
The fastest way that we advise to compare insurance rates from multiple companies takes advantage of the fact most of the larger companies participate in online systems to provide you with a free rate quote. The only thing you need to do is provide details like if the vehicle is leased, distance driven, how much education you have, and an estimate of your credit level. The rating information is instantly provided to multiple companies and you get price estimates quickly.
To get price quotes for your Tesla Model S now, click here and enter your zip code.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free quotes in Michigan. To buy cheap car insurance in MI, we suggest you get prices from several of them to find the lowest auto insurance rates.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local Detroit insurance agent
A small number of people still like to go talk to an agent and doing so can bring peace of mind One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in Detroit.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is emailed to companies in Detroit that can give you free Detroit car insurance quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around since price quotes are sent to your email. You can find the lowest rates AND a local agent. If you want to compare rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you need to find a local insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent do not work for one specific company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company which makes it simple for you. When comparison shopping, we recommend you include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Below are Detroit independent agents that may be able to give rate quotes.
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide one company’s prices such as State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on what they offer which can be an advantage.
The following are exclusive insurance agents in Detroit willing to provide price quote information.
Choosing an insurance agency requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Are they full-time agents?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
If you get good answers and an affordable coverage quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles. Just understand that you are entitled to cancel coverage any time you want so never assume you’re contractually obligated to a specific company for any length of time.