Do you think you bought an under-performing, overpriced auto insurance policy? It’s a common feeling and many Detroit drivers feel the same as you.
A study showed that a large majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Consumers in Michigan can cut their rates by $3,836 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe the rate savings if they switched to a cheaper policy.
You have multiple auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, lots of choices makes it harder to compare company pricing for Subaru Outback insurance in Detroit.
It’s smart to price shop coverage at least once a year because prices are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you got the best rates on Subaru Outback insurance in Detroit a year ago other companies may now be cheaper. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding Outback insurance on the internet, but you can learn the easiest ways to reduce your auto insurance bill.
When shopping for affordable Detroit car insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways of comparing rate quotes from many different Michigan insurance companies. The best method to compare rates is simply to get online rate quotes.
Getting free rate quotes online is quite simple, and it makes it a waste of time to actually drive to insurance agencies in your area. The ability to quote Subaru Outback insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you require the trained guidance of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. It is possible to price shop your coverage online and get advice from an agent in your area. Just keep in mind that having more price comparisons increases the chance that you will find more affordable insurance. Not every company provides online Detroit Outback insurance quotes, so you also need to get price quotes from them as well.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Michigan. To buy cheaper auto insurance in Detroit, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Rates and information analytics
The coverage table displayed next outlines different coverage costs for Subaru Outback models. Understanding more about how insurance prices are established can assist in making informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$516||$890||$650||$38||$194||$2,288||$191|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$516||$890||$650||$38||$194||$2,288||$191|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$516||$890||$650||$38||$194||$2,288||$191|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$576||$1050||$650||$38||$194||$2,508||$209|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Premium amounts do not factor in your specific Detroit location which can impact coverage prices greatly.
The illustration below demonstrates how deductibles and can affect Subaru Outback premium costs for different ages of insureds. The data is based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Male drivers compared to female drivers
The chart below illustrates the difference between Subaru Outback car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The information is based on no violations or claims, full coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The information below illustrates the comparison of Subaru Outback insurance rates with full coverage and liability only. The data assumes no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no definitive guideline that works best for making the decision to drop full coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Subaru Outback replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying over $300 a year for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not opt for liability only.
Three main reasons to buy auto insurance
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Detroit, maintaining insurance is mandatory in Michigan but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Outback, most lenders will stipulate that you have physical damage coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may buy a policy for your Subaru at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your Subaru Outback but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Outback are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Michigan overpays as much as $810 a year so compare rates at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you understand what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that may result in cheaper rates. Lots of factors are used in the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but other criteria are more obscure such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
Teenage vs. mature drivers – Young drivers in Michigan are proven to get distracted easily in a vehicle so insurance rates are higher. Mature drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and receive fewer citations.
The next chart assumes a single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Tickets cost more than a fine – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Attentive drivers pay lower auto insurance prices compared to bad drivers. Even one ticket can bump up the cost by twenty percent. Drivers with flagrant tickets like DUI or reckless driving may find they need to prove financial responsibility with their state in order to legally drive.
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents can drive up Subaru Outback insurance rates for each different age group. The prices are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Eliminate unneeded add-on coverages – Insurance companies have many extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your insurance policy. Insurance for rental car reimbursement, death and dismemberment, and additional equipment coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
Inexpensive frequent insurance claims are not good – If you file claims often, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in Michigan award discounts to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
High credit saves on insurance – Having a good credit score is likely to be a major factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit rating can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your Subaru Outback by repairing your credit. Insureds with excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with poor credit scores.
More performance means higher rates – The make and model of the vehicle you own makes a significant difference in your premium level. Economy passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
The chart below uses these variables: married male driver age 50, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The data compares Subaru Outback car insurance rates compared to other vehicles that have a range of performance risks.
Rates can drop if you have more than one policy – The majority of companies will give better rates to buyers who consolidate policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to get quotes from other companies to help ensure you have the lowest rates. It’s possible to still find better rates even if you have your coverage with different companies
Insurance loss data for Subaru Outback vehicles – Insurers take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle in order to profitably underwrite each model. Models that tend to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have a higher cost to insure. The next table shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Subaru Outback vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles as a whole is considered to be 100. Values that are under 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers above 100 indicate more frequent losses or statistically larger claims.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Subaru Outback 4WD||58||68||106||63||64||68|
|Subaru Outback with Eyesight 4WD||57||46||106||61||58||40|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Subaru Outback insurance in Detroit
Some insurance providers do not advertise every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the below list has both well-publicized and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles on your Subaru can earn substantially lower prices.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because of the fact that having a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Organization Discounts – Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your bill.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a small discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Early Switch Discount – Some larger companies reward drivers for buying a new policy prior to your current Outback insurance policy expiration. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Detroit car insurance but check with your company.
- Onboard Data Collection – Drivers that enable their company to analyze driving manner by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could save a few bucks if they exhibit good driving behavior.
Don’t be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The example below shows the difference between Subaru Outback car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, no accidents, no driving violations, Michigan state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, multi-policy, and multi-car discounts applied.
Companies who might offer these money-saving discounts include:
Double check with each company or agent to give you their best rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered in your area. To view providers that offer the discounts shown above in Detroit, click this link.
Buying from auto insurance agents
Some people still like to talk to a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local. Buying from and supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Detroit.
By using this simple form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Detroit who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to contact any agents due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can get cheaper insurance rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to compare prices for a specific company, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Detroit car insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
If you’re trying to find a local Detroit insurance agency, you should know the different types of agents and how they function. Insurance agents in Detroit may be either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Agents that choose to be independent are appointed with more than one company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally and you can keep the same agent. When comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Featured below are independent insurance agencies in Detroit who may provide pricing information.
Dave Gilead Insurance Agency
18323 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48219 – (313) 533-3220 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. These agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are well schooled in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Detroit that can give you price quotes.
Finding the right car insurance agent requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
Do the work, save more money
Discount Subaru Outback insurance in Detroit can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Detroit insurance agents, so you need to shop Detroit car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an insured cut full coverage only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
We just covered a lot of information how to lower your Subaru Outback insurance premium rates in Detroit. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
How to find discount Subaru Outback insurance in Detroit
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get budget auto insurance rates in Detroit is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers who sell auto insurance in Michigan.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about how companies set rates and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher prices such as traffic citations, accidents, and your credit history can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Step 2: Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
An important bit of advice to remember is to compare identical coverage information on each quote and and to get quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Much more information about insurance in Michigan is available below:
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Car Insurance Quotes for Police Officers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Used Cars in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a Ford Fusion in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Auto Insurance for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)