If you’ve never shopped for Detroit auto insurance quotes online, by this point your are probably bewildered thanks to the vast number insurance agents and companies all claiming to save you money.
We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Drivers who compare other prices will probably move their business because they have good chances of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent survey found that drivers who compared rate quotes regularly saved $70 a month compared to those who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the lowest price on Honda S2000 insurance is why you’re reading this, then understanding how to get free comparison quotes and analyze auto insurance can help you be more efficient.
Just keep in mind that obtaining a wide range of quotes will enable you to find more affordable insurance.
The car insurance companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Michigan. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the most competitive price.
Get discounts on Detroit auto insurance
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list both the well known as well as some of the hidden credits that may apply to you.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Detroit auto insurance with a few auto insurance companies.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles may enable drivers to earn cheaper auto insurance rates.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Purchasing coverage when you have several vehicles with one company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a defensive driver course could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt could save 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Life Insurance – Not all auto insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower auto insurance rate if you buy a life policy as well.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
The best auto insurance companies and their possible discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm includes discounts for good student, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, driver’s education, good driver, and passive restraint.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online quote discount, continuous coverage, online signing, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, good student, online signing, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife offers discounts for good student, defensive driver, accident-free, multi-policy, and good driver.
- Farm Bureau discounts include good student, multi-policy, youthful driver, safe driver, multi-vehicle, 55 and retired, and driver training.
- GEICO may include discounts for driver training, five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, emergency military deployment, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO has savings for multi-car, homeowner, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, and accident prevention training.
It’s a good idea to ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not apply in your area. To find insurers with discount rates in Michigan, follow this link.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda S2000 insurance, maintaining insurance serves several important purposes.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your S2000, most lenders will require you to carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Honda at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. But the average driver in Michigan is overpaying over $830 a year so shop around every year to save money.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
Always remember that when buying a policy, there isn’t really a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- What is glass protection for?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Insurance agent or online?
Some people still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is OK! A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that you can find lower rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents in Detroit who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to do any legwork because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. You can find lower rates and work with a local agent. If you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance provider, feel free to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Choosing an provider requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Detroit should have no problem answering these questions:
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
Insurance agent types
When searching for a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies from which to choose. Agents are considered either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive agents have only one company to place business with like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price. Some people will only use the same exclusive agent mainly due to the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Detroit willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Shauna Johnson
18711 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 272-2020 – View Map
- Anthony Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
23221 Plymouth Rd – Detroit, MI 48239 – (313) 533-2440 – View Map
- PD Dandnaik – State Farm Insurance Agent
W, 7725 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 554-1500 – View Map
Agents that choose to be independent do not sell for just one brand so as a result can place your coverage through lots of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, you should always get insurance quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to compare the most rates. Most also have access to smaller companies which may provide better rates.
Listed below is a short list of independent agencies in Detroit that are able to give comparison quotes.
- L A Insurance
6248 Michigan Ave – Detroit, MI 48210 – (313) 896-1000 – View Map
- Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
- Titan Insurance
3144 Woods Cir Dr – Detroit, MI 48207 – (313) 974-7085 – View Map