Anyone knows that auto insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. People who shop around annually are highly likely to buy a different policy because there is a high probability of finding a lower-cost company. A recent car insurance study revealed that drivers who compared rates once a year saved over $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding the best rates on insurance in Detroit is your target objective, then having some knowledge of how to find companies and compare cheaper coverage can save time and money.
The best way to find cheaper quotes for Chrysler Aspen insurance in Detroit is to start comparing prices regularly from providers who can sell car insurance in Michigan.
- Step 1: Try to learn about how auto insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that cause high rates like traffic citations and poor credit history can be amended by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application to the new company. Don’t forget to keep the new proof of insurance paperwork in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to compare identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get price quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
If you’re already insured or are looking for a new policy, you can use these techniques to find the best rates and possibly find even better coverage. The goal of this article is to help educate you on how car insurance works and how you can save the most money. You only need an understanding of how to shop online.
Finding a better price on auto insurance is actually quite simple. All you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing free Detroit car insurance quotes online with multiple companies.
The providers in the list below offer quotes in Detroit, MI. If you want to find the best cheap auto insurance in MI, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Insurance is not optional in Michigan
Even though it can be expensive, insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Chrysler Aspen, it’s most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Chrysler for a much higher rate and make you pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Chrysler. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying over $810 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to save money.
Score discounts on Detroit car insurance
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there are discounts available that can help lower your rates. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be specifically requested before being credited.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying a new car instead of a used Aspen can get you a discount since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a deployed family member can result in better premium rates.
- Auto/Life Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a break if you buy a life policy as well.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Early Payment Discounts – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
Don’t be shocked that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that’s just not realistic. But all discounts will bring down your policy cost.
Companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- American Family may have discounts that include air bags, mySafetyValet, defensive driver, early bird, and bundled insurance.
- State Farm has discounts for defensive driving training, safe vehicle, student away at school, good student, and good driver.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, student driver, homeowners, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, early bird, and teen driver.
- Travelers offers premium reductions for IntelliDrive, early quote, hybrid/electric vehicle, continuous insurance, and payment discounts.
- GEICO may include discounts for federal employee, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, military active duty, driver training, and air bags.
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company how you can save money. Discounts may not apply to policies in every state. To find providers who offer car insurance discounts in Michigan, click this link.
Insurance agencies can help
Certain consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and that can be a smart move Agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this quick form, your information is transmitted to companies in Detroit who will return price quotes for your coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Before buying a policy in Detroit, get answers to these questions.
- Is there a local claims center in Detroit?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Types of auto insurance agents in Detroit
If you’re trying to find local Detroit agents, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Agents in Detroit are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company like State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare rates from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are trained well on what they offer which aids in selling service over price. Consumers sometimes buy from exclusive agents primarily because of the brand name rather than low price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Detroit that can give you price quote information.
- Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
- Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
- State Farm – Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-3172 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they quote lower rates, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to do anything.
When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to contact a few independent agents to get the best comparison. Most also have access to small mutual carriers who may have lower rates.
Below are Detroit independent agents willing to provide rate quotes.
- Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
- Detroit Auto Insurance
620 Woodward Ave – Detroit, MI 48226 – (517) 618-1693 – View Map
- Look! Insurance
11324 W Jefferson Ave # 1 – River Rouge, MI 48218 – (888) 566-5467 – View Map
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When it comes to buying coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different.
For example, these questions could help you determine whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- When should I not file a claim?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Affordable Chrysler Aspen insurance in Detroit is definitely available from both online companies and with local Detroit insurance agents, so you need to quote Detroit car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who may not have internet price quotes and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agencies.
Drivers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, policy cancellation, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and policy non-renewal. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company is actually quite simple.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your objective should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenage Males in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Good Students in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)