Unfortunately, almost 70% of insureds kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Michigan drivers could save an average of 65% each year, but they just don’t want to compare rate quotes.
If you want to save money, the best way to find affordable quotes for Volkswagen Routan insurance in Detroit is to start doing a yearly price comparison from companies who provide auto insurance in Michigan.
- Try to understand the different coverages in a policy and the factors you can control to prevent rate increases. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases such as accidents, careless driving, and a substandard credit score can be remedied by paying attention to minor details.
- Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices for many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a better price and buy the policy, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current policy and submit payment and a completed application to your new agent or company. As soon as you have the new policy, place the new certificate of insurance in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
An important note is that you’ll want to compare the same level of coverage on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures the most accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
If you’re already insured or just want a better rate, you can learn to save money while maximizing coverage. Finding quotes for affordable insurance coverage in Detroit is not that difficult. Smart shoppers just need to learn the proper way to shop from many companies at once.
Compare quotes for Detroit Volkswagen Routan insurance
Many insurance companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive allow consumers to get prices for coverage online. Comparing Volkswagen Routan insurance rates online is pretty easy as all you need to do is type in the amount of coverage you want as requested by the quote form. Once you submit the form, the quote system automatically orders your driving record and credit report and returns a price based on many factors.
This simplifies rate comparisons, and it’s necessary to perform this step if you want to find a lower rate.
In order to fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare rates from the companies below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input the coverages identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will get a rate comparison based on similar coverages.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Michigan. If you want to find the best cheap car insurance in Michigan, we recommend you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Discount Detroit car insurance rates
Companies don’t always publicize the complete list of policy discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so below is a list both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts that may be available.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model can get you a discount because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- No Claim Discounts – Good drivers with no accidents get the best car insurance rates when compared to bad drivers.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with cheaper rates.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Online Discount – Some insurance companies give back up to $50 for signing up online.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Detroit can save a few bucks due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Professional Memberships – Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount on your policy.
- Good Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accidents.
Don’t be shocked that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
The chart below shows the difference between Volkswagen Routan yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The prices are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Michigan state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, marriage, and homeowner discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple policy, driver’s education, student away at school, passive restraint, good student, good driver, and anti-theft.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for multi-car, multi-policy, newly retired, hybrid vehicle, preferred payment discount, and new vehicle discount.
- American Family has savings for TimeAway discount, multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, defensive driver, accident-free, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts for online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, online signing, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for teen driver, multi-car, good student, business and professional, youthful driver, and bundle discounts.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for safe vehicle, good student, group or association, paid in full, multi-policy, and student away at school.
- SAFECO offers discounts including homeowner, accident prevention training, safe driver, multi-car, teen safety rewards, and drive less.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company which discounts they offer. Savings might not apply in your area. To see companies with significant discounts in Detroit, follow this link.
Rates and data analysis
The coverage information shown below highlights a range of prices for Volkswagen Routan models. Learning more about how policy premiums are established can assist in making informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Routan S 2WD||$320||$456||$598||$36||$180||$1,590||$133|
|Routan SE 2WD||$360||$554||$598||$36||$180||$1,728||$144|
|Routan SEL 2WD||$360||$654||$598||$36||$180||$1,828||$152|
|Routan SEL Premium 6 Cyl 2WD||$402||$654||$598||$36||$180||$1,870||$156|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in Detroit location which can impact coverage rates significantly.
The example below shows how different deductible levels and can influence Volkswagen Routan yearly insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The prices are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The example below compares Volkswagen Routan insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the Michigan minimum liability coverage. The rate quotes are based on no claims or violations, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no clear-cut rule to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of full coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s assume your Volkswagen Routan replacement cost is $9,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $800 a year for physical damage coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not advised. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Why Smart Consumers Pay Less for Volkswagen Routan Insurance
Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get cheaper rates. Multiple criteria are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, although others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or how safe your car is.
The following are most of the major factors used by companies to determine your rate level.
Drivers with high credit save on car insurance – Credit rating factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have excellent credit tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have lower ratings. So if your credit rating is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your Volkswagen Routan by spending a little time repairing your credit.
Less chance of injury means lower rates – Safer cars tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety protect occupants better and reduced instances of injuries translates directly to fewer claims which can result in lower premiums. If your Volkswagen Routan is rated at a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
More policies can equal more savings – Lots of insurance companies allow a discount to policyholders that have more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s still a good idea to compare Volkswagen Routan rates in Detroit to make sure you are getting the best deal. It’s possible to still save even more even if you insure with multiple companies
Single vs. married – Having a significant other may earn you lower rates when buying car insurance. Marriage translates into being more responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
Urban areas may pay more – Living in less populated areas has definite advantages when insuring your vehicles. Urban drivers have much more traffic and more time behind the wheel. Fewer drivers means less chance of accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
Don’t buy extra policy coverages that may not be needed – There are quite a few optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed when buying car insurance. Coverage for things like roadside assistance, high-cost glass coverage, and additional equipment coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when discussing your needs, but if you don’t need them think about removing them and cutting costs.
Buying from auto insurance agents
A small number of people just prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Good agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Detroit who can give free rate quotes to get your business. You never need to leave your house because prices are sent instantly to you. If you want to compare rates for a specific company, you just need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing the best insurer shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
What type of Detroit auto insurance agent is right for you?
If you want to buy insurance from a local insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agencies are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either one can sell affordable insurance policies, but it’s good to learn the differences since it may influence which agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive are contracted to one company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on what they offer which aids in selling service over price. Some consumers prefer to buy insurance from these agents partially due to the prominence of the brand rather than low price.
Shown below are Detroit exclusive agents willing to provide rate quotes.
- Angela Hughes – State Farm Insurance Agent
14511 W McNichols Rd – Detroit, MI 48235 – (313) 862-7800 – View Map
- PD Dandnaik – State Farm Insurance Agent
W, 7725 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 554-1500 – View Map
- Charlotte Knight – State Farm Insurance Agent
7100 W Seven Mile Rd – Detroit, MI 48221 – (313) 340-9000 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are appointed with more than one company and that allows them to write policies through many different insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies which makes it simple for you. When searching for an agent, you absolutely need to get rate quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection. Many independent agencies also insure through smaller companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Shown below is a list of independent agencies in Detroit willing to provide price quote information.
- Diebold Detroit Insurance Agency
1420 Broadway St #101 – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 964-3750 – View Map
- Woodward Insurance
1529 Woodward Ave – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 962-6200 – View Map
600 Renaissance Center # 2100 – Detroit, MI 48243 – (313) 393-6800 – View Map
Affordable coverage is out there
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
You just learned many tips how you can lower your Volkswagen Routan insurance rates in Detroit. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, denial of a claim, being labeled a high risk driver and even policy cancellation. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies can be pretty painless.
Much more information about car insurance in Michigan can be read at these links:
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenage Males in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Auto Insurance Rates for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)