The easiest way to get low-cost car insurance rates in Detroit is to compare prices annually from insurers who sell auto insurance in Michigan.
- Read about individual coverages and the things you can control to keep rates down. Many things that result in higher rates such as speeding and a bad credit score can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies. View companies
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel your existing policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. As soon as you receive it, keep the new proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
A key point to remember is to make sure you’re comparing the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from all possible companies. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a good representation of prices.
Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Consumers who shop around annually will probably switch companies because of the high probability of finding a lower-priced policy. A recent study showed that consumers who compared rates regularly saved as much as $3,450 over four years compared to people who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding budget-friendly auto insurance is your ultimate target, then having an understanding of how to shop for car insurance can save time, money, and frustration.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds who allow companies to study where and when they drive by using a telematic data system such as State Farm’s In-Drive might get better premium rates if they show good driving skills.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Teen drivers should successfully complete driver’s ed class in high school.
- Claim-Free Discount – Good drivers with no accidents can earn big discounts compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning a home in Detroit may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment instead of paying each month you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some insurance companies give a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for primary and secondary vehicles on a single policy qualifies for this discount.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies before your current coverage expires. It can save you around 10%.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down on your Audi could earn lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Large car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts include:
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good student, Drive Safe & Save, multiple autos, safe vehicle, and student away at school.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for defensive driving, multi-policy, anti-theft, easy pay, and Farm Bureau membership.
- GEICO offers discounts including multi-policy, federal employee, anti-theft, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, good student, and driver training.
- AAA may include discounts for AAA membership discount, good driver, multi-car, anti-theft, multi-policy, pay-in-full, and education and occupation.
- 21st Century has savings for student driver, teen driver, homeowners, 55 and older, air bags, good student, and theft prevention.
- The Hartford discounts include vehicle fuel type, good student, air bag, bundle, defensive driver, driver training, and anti-theft.
Double check with each company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in your area. To locate insurers with discount car insurance rates in Michigan, click this link.
How to buy Audi RS7 insurance in Detroit, MI
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Michigan. To locate the best cheap car insurance in MI, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Buying from auto insurance agents
Some people still prefer to talk to a local agent and that is OK! Good agents can answer important questions and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but also keep your business local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Detroit who will give competitive quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, you just need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best insurer should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Does the company have a local claim office in Detroit?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are a couple of different agency structures and how they function. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent. Both can insure your vehicles properly, but it’s important to know the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into the selection process.
Agents of this type can only write with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They are unable to provide other company’s prices so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are well schooled on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Many people buy insurance from these agents mainly due to loyalty to the company instead of buying on price only.
Shown below are Detroit exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide rate quotes.
- Michelle Sims – State Farm Insurance Agent
24970 W Outer Dr – Lincoln Park, MI 48146 – (313) 928-1348 – View Map
- Anthony Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
23221 Plymouth Rd – Detroit, MI 48239 – (313) 533-2440 – View Map
- Kenya Wells – State Farm Insurance Agent
20021 Kelly Rd – Detroit, MI 48225 – (313) 822-5948 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent often have many company appointments and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part. If you need lower rates, you will want to get several quotes from several independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most also have access to small regional insurance companies which can be an advantage.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Detroit that are able to give price quotes.
- Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
- Look Insurance Detroit Southwest Agency
6724 Michigan Ave – Detroit, MI 48210 – (313) 899-3194 – View Map
- Midwest Underwriters Insurance
19640 Harper Ave – Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236 – (313) 884-8600 – View Map
If you feel you receive good answers to any questions you have and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an insurance agency that will properly service your car insurance policy.
Persistence will pay off
Cheaper auto insurance in Detroit can be bought from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Detroit agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies may not have online quoting and usually these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, high prices, denial of a claim and even questionable increases in premium. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right auto insurance provider is not as hard as you think.
You just learned many tips how you can shop for Audi RS7 insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Additional auto insurance information is available on the following sites:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Detroit Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Low Income Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Safe Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High Risk Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Detroit Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)