The preferred way to get affordable car insurance rates is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Detroit. You can compare rates by following these steps.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about how car insurance works and the changes you can make to lower rates. Many risk factors that drive up the price like speeding tickets, careless driving and a low credit score can be improved by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for information to find cheap rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple insurance companies. View companies
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if cheaper MDX coverage is available in Detroit. If you can save some money and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Tell your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a completed application and payment to the newly selected company. Once received, store the proof of insurance certificate with your registration paperwork.
One tip to remember is to make sure you enter similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from every company you can. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
It’s well known that car insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Insureds who shop around for a cheaper policy will, in all likelihood, buy a new policy because there is a good chance of finding discount prices. A recent survey found that consumers who compared rates once a year saved approximately $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the cheapest rates on Acura MDX insurance in Detroit is the reason you’re here, then having a good understanding how to quote and compare cheaper coverage can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
If you have coverage now or are just looking to switch companies, take advantage of these tips to find better prices while maintaining coverages. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Detroit can be much easier if you know how to start. Drivers just have to learn the quickest method to shop their coverage around from many different companies.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Detroit, MI. To locate cheap auto insurance in Michigan, we recommend you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Rate information and statistics
The information shown below outlines detailed analysis of prices for Acura MDX models. Having a better idea how insurance prices are calculated can aid in making decisions when shopping around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|MDX with Tech Package 4WD||$378||$614||$712||$42||$212||$1,958||$163|
|MDX with Tech/Entertainment 4WD||$378||$614||$712||$42||$212||$1,958||$163|
|MDX Advance 4WD||$378||$614||$712||$42||$212||$1,958||$163|
|MDX Advance/Entertainment 4WD||$378||$614||$712||$42||$212||$1,958||$163|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in zip code location which can influence coverage prices significantly.
Safe drivers pay less for car insurance
The information below demonstrates how citations and at-fault collisions can raise Acura MDX premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The data is based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Get lower-cost Acura MDX insurance in Detroit with discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there could be significant discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Most are applied at the time of quoting, but a few must be specially asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies with one insurance company you may earn nearly 15% which can help you find cheaper MDX insurance.
- Low Mileage – Low annual miles could be rewarded with discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers can possibly qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a home in Detroit can save you money because owning a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for primary and secondary vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- College Student Discount – Youth drivers who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates all those discounts means the company will pay you, it’s just not the way it works. But all discounts will cut your policy cost.
The example below shows the difference between Acura MDX premium costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The costs are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, Michigan state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and multi-car discounts applied.
Larger insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- State Farm offers discounts including passive restraint, student away at school, multiple autos, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, and multiple policy.
- GEICO may include discounts for military active duty, air bags, membership and employees, daytime running lights, driver training, and anti-lock brakes.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for new vehicle discount, multi-car, newly retired, safety features, new graduate, multi-policy, and exclusive group savings.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for bundle, good student, vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, and air bag.
- MetLife policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, accident-free, claim-free, good driver, good student, multi-policy
- Progressive has savings for multi-policy, homeowner, good student, online signing, continuous coverage, and online quote discount.
If you are trying to find low cost Detroit car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be available to policyholders in Detroit. To see providers that offer discounts in Michigan, click this link.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is mandatory in Michigan but it also protects more than you think.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your MDX has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Acura for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves not only your car but also your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your Acura gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Detroit is overpaying over $810 a year so shop around once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Independent versus exclusive car insurance agents
Some consumers just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Professional agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. The best thing about comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have a local agent. And providing support for local agents is important particularly in Detroit.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Detroit who will give competitive quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. If you have a need to compare rates from one company in particular, you just need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from local Detroit agents, you should know the different types of agents from which to choose. Auto insurance agencies can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types of agents can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s a good idea to understand the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by one company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can just switch to a different company without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing auto insurance prices, you definitely need to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Featured below is a small list of independent agents in Detroit who may provide price quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company like Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below are Detroit exclusive agents willing to provide comparison quotes.
Jim Saucedo – State Farm Insurance Agent
5602 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 841-8100 – View Map
Tony Massey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15 E Kirby St #112 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 873-3334 – View Map
Picking an auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. These questions are important to ask:
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Which family members are covered?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
Learn about car insurance coverages for an Acura MDX
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are the usual coverages available from car insurance companies.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hitting a bird, hail damage and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Acura MDX.
Since many Michigan drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (20/40/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other’s property or people in an accident. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 20/40/10 which means $20,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $40,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability insurance covers things like structural damage, bail bonds, emergency aid and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Michigan requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/10 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why minimum state limits may not be enough coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for expenses such as dental work, EMT expenses, doctor visits, pain medications and chiropractic care. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This will pay to fix damage to your MDX caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for things like scraping a guard rail, sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a building and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also choose a higher deductible on your MDX to get cheaper collision coverage.