The recommended way to find low-cost auto insurance rates in Detroit is to regularly compare quotes from companies who sell insurance in Michigan.
- Step 1: Learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article provides tips to keep prices down and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Tell your current agent or company to cancel your existing policy and submit a signed application and payment to the new company. Be sure to keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location.
An important bit of advice to remember is to use identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to compare as many companies as you can. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
It’s an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Drivers who shop around once a year are likely to switch to a new company because they stand a good chance of finding a lower-priced company. A recent study showed that consumers who compared rate quotes regularly saved on average $3,450 over four years compared to other drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding discount rates on Dodge Dakota insurance in Detroit is why you’re here, then having an understanding of how to find companies and compare insurance can help you succeed in saving money.
If you have insurance now or just want cheaper rates, you will benefit by learning to cut your premiums while maintaining coverages. This article will introduce you to the most effective ways to compare rates and some money-saving tips. Smart buyers just need to know the tricks to compare insurance rates using one simple form.
Getting a more affordable price on insurance is not a difficult process. All you need to do is spend a little time comparing rates to discover which company has the cheapest Dodge Dakota rate quotes.
The car insurance companies shown below provide quotes in Detroit, MI. To buy the cheapest auto insurance in Detroit, MI, we recommend you click on several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Dodge Dakota insurance discounts in Detroit
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to help offset the cost. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for before they will apply. If you don’t get every credit available, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices have a lower chance of being stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Distant Student – College-age children who live away from home to go to college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount on your next car insurance statement.
- ABS Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Own a Home and Save – Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease with some car insurance companies.
- Telematics Data – Drivers who elect to allow data collection to spy on driving habits by using a telematic data system such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive may see discounts as long as they are good drivers.
- Bundle and Save – If you combine your auto and home policies with one company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
Policy discounts save money, but some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you’re out of luck.
The information below shows the difference between Dodge Dakota auto insurance rates with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Michigan state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, safe-driver, multi-car, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be read below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including safe vehicle, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, good student, multiple policy, defensive driving training, and anti-theft.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers has savings for multi-policy, IntelliDrive, multi-car, payment discounts, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- American Family may include discounts for TimeAway discount, bundled insurance, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, and good driver.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for newly married, multi-car, multi-policy, teen driver discount, preferred payment discount, exclusive group savings, and new graduate.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Savings may not be offered in Detroit. To view insurers with discount rates in Michigan, click this link.
Dodge Dakota insurance rate analysis
The data table displayed below showcases different insurance coverage prices for Dodge Dakota models. Learning more about how prices are formulated can help guide drivers when making informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$446||$1052||$976||$58||$292||$2,824||$235|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$446||$1052||$976||$58||$292||$2,824||$235|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$512||$1052||$976||$58||$292||$2,890||$241|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$512||$1052||$976||$58||$292||$2,890||$241|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$512||$1240||$976||$58||$292||$3,078||$257|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$512||$1240||$976||$58||$292||$3,078||$257|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$576||$1052||$780||$46||$234||$2,688||$224|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$576||$1052||$780||$46||$234||$2,688||$224|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$576||$1240||$976||$58||$292||$3,142||$262|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$576||$1052||$780||$46||$234||$2,688||$224|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$576||$1052||$780||$46||$234||$2,688||$224|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$576||$1052||$780||$46||$234||$2,688||$224|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$576||$1240||$780||$46||$234||$2,876||$240|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$576||$1240||$780||$46||$234||$2,876||$240|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$576||$1240||$780||$46||$234||$2,876||$240|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$642||$1240||$780||$46||$234||$2,942||$245|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Rates do not factor in specific location which can lower or raise rates greatly.
The example below illustrates how your deductible choice and can change Dodge Dakota annual premium costs for each age group. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to talk to an agent
Many drivers just prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and doing that can be a smart decision Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing car insurance online is that you can find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this simple form, your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact an agency due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific company, you can always navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding the right insurance company should depend on more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
If you are searching for a local Detroit insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents and how they can write your policy. Agents are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can provide car insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know how they are different since it may influence the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive are contracted to one company like Farmers Insurance and State Farm. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are trained well in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price. Drivers often choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the brand and solid financial strength.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Detroit who can help you get price quote information.
- State Farm – Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-3172 – View Map
- Anthony Jackson – State Farm Insurance Agent
23221 Plymouth Rd – Detroit, MI 48239 – (313) 533-2440 – View Map
- PD Dandnaik – State Farm Insurance Agent
W, 7725 Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48209 – (313) 554-1500 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel are appointed with more than one company and that gives them the ability to insure with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you need lower rates, you will definitely want to compare quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. They often place coverage with companies you’ve never heard of which may have better rates.
Listed below are Detroit independent agencies who can help you get rate quotes.
- Diebold Detroit Insurance Agency
1420 Broadway St #101 – Detroit, MI 48226 – (313) 964-3750 – View Map
- LA Insurance
2922 W Grand Blvd – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 871-0100 – View Map
- Look Insurance Detroit Southwest Agency
6724 Michigan Ave – Detroit, MI 48210 – (313) 899-3194 – View Map
If you get answers to your satisfaction to these questions and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an insurance agent that is reliable enough to provide car insurance coverage.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When selecting a policy, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Michigan?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Informed Drivers Save on Insurance
A large part of saving on insurance is knowing some of the things that play a part in calculating your premiums. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get better insurance rates. Many things are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but other criteria are more obscure like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating.
- Alarm systems save money – Purchasing a vehicle with anti-theft technology or alarm system can earn a premium discount. Theft deterrent systems such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Annual mileage impacts rates – Driving a lot of miles annually the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Many insurance companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure than those used for commuting. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Dakota can result in significantly higher rates. Ask your agent if your declarations sheet is showing the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Driving citations inflate prices – Your driving record influences premium rates substantially. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to those with violations. Just one moving violation can increase the cost of insurance twenty percent or more. Drivers unfortunate enough to have severe violations like reckless driving or DUI may face state-mandated requirements to complete a SR-22 with their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The illustration below demonstrates how citations and at-fault claims influence Dodge Dakota insurance costs for each different age category. The information is based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
- Safer the car lower the rate – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates. If the Dodge Dakota has at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may qualify for a discount.
- Lower rates for married couples – Walking down the aisle helps lower the price on insurance. It is viewed as being more mature and statistics prove married couples file fewer claims.
- Save money by having good credit – Having a bad credit history factor in determining premium rates. If your credit could use some work, you could pay less to insure your Dodge Dakota if you clean up your credit. Insureds with good credit tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with lower ratings.
- Higher premiums for specific jobs – Jobs like lawyers, airline pilots, and dentists tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder because of intense work-related stress and long work days. On the flip side, careers like professors, students and performers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Better rates for no policy lapses – Allowing your insurance policy to lapse will be a sure-fire way to pay more for insurance. Not only will you pay more, the inability to provide proof of insurance may earn you a license revocation or jail time. You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Michigan motor vehicle department.
Insurance is not optional in Michigan
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Detroit, maintaining insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability protection if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Dakota with a loan, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards both your Dodge and your assets. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your Dakota definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying over $825 a year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to save money.
Smart shoppers get results
Budget-friendly insurance in Detroit can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood Detroit agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies do not offer online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through local independent agencies.
Insureds leave their current company for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, delays in paying claims, policy non-renewal or even poor customer service. Whatever your reason, switching insurance companies can be easier than you think.
In this article, we covered many ways to save on Dodge Dakota insurance in Detroit. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting low cost Detroit auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from an unexpected company.
More detailed insurance information is located in these articles:
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Altima in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for First-time Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Detroit Auto Insurance for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for 18 Year Olds in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much Does Car Insurance Go Up After a Speeding Ticket? (DetroitInsure.com)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)