Having to pay for pricey car insurance in Detroit can stress out your personal savings and force you to make sacrifices. Doing a price comparison is a fast and free way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
Remarkably, a study showed that most car insurance buyers have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and almost half have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. Many drivers in Detroit can save hundreds of dollars each year just by shopping around, but they underestimate how much money they would save if they changed companies.
How to buy affordable Chevy SS insurance in Detroit
The preferred way to find cheaper Chevy SS insurance is to do an annual price comparison from providers that sell auto insurance in Detroit.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many rating criteria that are responsible for high rates like accidents, traffic violations, and a low credit rating can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article provides more details to prevent high prices and find possible discounts that are available.
- Second, compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to the new insurer. Once the application is submitted, place the new proof of insurance certificate along with your vehicle registration.
One piece of advice is that you use identical limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to compare every company you can. Doing this provides a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Because there are so many insurance companies to choose from that have lower-cost insurance for a Chevy SS in Detroit, it can be challenging to find the most cost effective car insurance company.
How do Insurance Companies Determine Chevy SS Insurance Prices?
Many different elements are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are more obscure such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
The items below are some of the factors that factor into your rates.
- Policy add-ons may be wasting money – There are a ton of additional coverages that you can buy when buying auto insurance. Coverages like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness, and Farm Bureau memberships may be costing you every month. They may seem like a good idea when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them remove them and pocket the money.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – If you file a lot of claims you can look forward to higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Car insurance companies in Michigan provide the lowest premiums to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- How credit rating affects auto insurance premiums – Your credit history can be a huge factor in determining what you pay. If your credit history can use some improvement, you may save money insuring your Chevrolet SS by improving your rating. Drivers who have very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than those with lower ratings.
- Premiums drop with age – Youthful drivers in Michigan tend to be easily distracted with other occupants in the car so auto insurance rates are higher. More mature drivers tend to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and receive fewer citations.
- Your spouse saves you money – Having a significant other helps lower the price compared to being single. It translates into being less irresponsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Chevy SS insurance claim data – Insurers use statistical claims data to help set a rate to offset losses. Models that statistically have a trend towards higher claims will cost more to insure. The information below illustrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Chevy SS vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles, as an average, is represented as 100. Values under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values over 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Chevrolet SS Insurance Loss Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet SS 142 75 137BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Don’t overlook these Chevy SS insurance discounts
Insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you might already qualify for some discounts to cut the cost considerably. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you quote, but some must be manually applied before you get the savings. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds who allow their company to spy on driving patterns by using a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates as long as they are good drivers.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates as compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Vehicles with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and will save you 10% or more on SS insurance in Detroit.
- Anti-theft System – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Student Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers enroll and complete driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Good Student – Being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Multi-line Discount – Select insurance carriers reward you with a discounted rate on car insurance if you buy some life insurance too.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies don’t profit that way.
The best insurance companies and the discounts they provide are shown below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including accident-free, driver’s education, safe vehicle, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, and passive restraint.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including alternative fuel, mature driver, youthful driver, pay in full, multi-car, homeowner, and early shopping.
- Progressive may include discounts for homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- GEICO offers discounts for military active duty, emergency military deployment, good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, membership and employees, and defensive driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for safe driver, good student, group or association, anti-lock brakes, and student away at school.
- The Hartford discounts include good student, anti-theft, air bag, driver training, bundle, vehicle fuel type, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include multi-policy, renewal discount, driver training, good student, 55 and retired, youthful driver, and safe driver.
- USAA may offer discounts for good student, annual mileage, multi-policy, defensive driver, and safe driver.
If you need lower rates, check with each insurance company which discounts they offer. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in your state.
In the end, you can save money
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, policy cancellation, delays in responding to claim requests or even questionable increases in premium. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When you buy Detroit auto insurance online, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped collision coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost.
We just presented many ideas to find cheap Chevy SS insurance in Detroit. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Detroit auto insurance, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Steps to finding low-cost rates for Chevy SS insurance in Detroit
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find low-cost auto insurance rates in Detroit is to start doing a yearly price comparison from companies in Michigan.
- Step 1: Get a basic knowledge of car insurance and the modifications you can make to lower rates. Many things that increase rates like accidents, careless driving, and a poor credit score can be rectified by paying attention to minor details.
- Step 2: Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Provide proper notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application for the new coverage. As soon as you can, put the new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
A tip to remember is to make sure you’re comparing the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to analyze as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Much more information about auto insurance in Michigan is available below:
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a Ford Fusion in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)