If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get the cheapest Chevy Equinox insurance is to do a yearly price comparison from companies who provide auto insurance in Detroit.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to see if a cheaper price is available in Detroit. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
A good tip to remember is that you use identical coverage information on each price quote and and to get rates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
We don't have to tell you that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Insureds who get comparison quotes at least once a year are highly likely to buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding better rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who compared prices once a year saved an average of $850 each year as compared to drivers who never compared other company's rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance in Detroit is your goal, then having an understanding of the best way to shop and compare coverage rates can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
If you have coverage now, you will be able to shop for the lowest rates using the techniques presented in this article. Locating the best rates in Detroit is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. But Michigan vehicle owners must know the way companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Cheap auto insurance in Detroit, MI
The providers in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Detroit, MI. If you wish to find the best cheap car insurance in Detroit, we recommend you click on several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Coverage statistics and figures
The table displayed next outlines a range of coverage prices for Chevy Equinox models. Being able to understand how prices are formulated can be of help when making decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Equinox LS 2WD||$570||$1212||$898||$54||$268||$3,002||$250|
|Equinox LT 2WD||$570||$1212||$898||$54||$268||$3,002||$250|
|Equinox LS AWD||$570||$1212||$898||$54||$268||$3,002||$250|
|Equinox LT AWD||$570||$1212||$898||$54||$268||$3,002||$250|
|Equinox LTZ 2WD||$644||$1428||$898||$54||$268||$3,292||$274|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$644||$1428||$898||$54||$268||$3,292||$274|
|Equinox LTZ AWD||$644||$1428||$898||$54||$268||$3,292||$274|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can decrease or increase insurance rates significantly.
Get discounts on Detroit insurance
Auto insurance companies do not advertise all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the more common and the harder-to-find discounts that may be available.
- Drivers Ed for Students - Require your teen driver to enroll in driver's education in high school.
- Detroit Homeowners Pay Less - Just owning your own home can save you money because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your auto and home policies with one company you could save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Driver Safety - Passing a defensive driver course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Multi-line Discount - Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn a break if you buy a life policy as well.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not a discount per se, but some companies like Liberty Mutual and GEICO may permit one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Accident-Free Discounts - Detroit drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts when compared with bad drivers.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Putting insurance on a new Equinox is cheaper because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Organization Discounts - Being in a qualifying organization could trigger savings on insurance.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, that's just not realistic.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Equinox premium costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The premiums assume a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, Michigan state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, marriage, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Larger insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, driver's education, good driver, good student, multiple autos, anti-theft, and Drive Safe & Save.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including early bird, multi-vehicle, mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, and accident-free.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, defensive driver, daytime running lights, good student, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century has discounts for early bird, anti-lock brakes, theft prevention, driver training, air bags, and 55 and older.
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
If you are trying to find affordable Chevrolet Equinox insurance quotes, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Discounts may not be available in every state. To see providers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Michigan, click this link.
Informed Consumers Know How to Find Auto Insurance Cheaper
Many factors are considered when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but other criteria are more transparent like where you live or your vehicle rating.
The following are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by insurance companies to determine prices.
Does your occupation cost you more? - Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupational choices like military personnel, social workers, and miners generally pay higher rates than the rest of us due to high stress and long work days. Conversely, occupations such as farmers, historians and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
If you don't need it don't buy it - There are a lot of optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed on your Equinox policy. Add-on coverages like rental car reimbursement, towing coverage, and extra equipment coverage are examples of these. The coverages may be enticing when buying your policy, but now you might not need them so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Physical damage deductibles - The deductibles are the amount of money the insured will be required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. Insurance for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of covered claims are collision with another vehicle, hail damage, or theft of your vehicle. The higher the amount you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your auto insurance will be.
High credit scores save money - An insured's credit score is likely to be a major factor in determining your rates. Insureds with excellent credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with bad credit. If your credit history is low, you may save money insuring your Chevrolet Equinox by improving your rating.
Marriage discount - Walking down the aisle may save some money when buying auto insurance. Having a spouse may mean you are less irresponsible and it's statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
Drive less and get lower prices - The more you drive your Chevy each year the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers charge to insure your cars partially by how you use the vehicle. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. An incorrectly rated Equinox is throwing money out the window. It's always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet is rated on annual mileage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Never allow your auto insurance to lapse - Driving with no insurance is not a good idea and any future policy may cost more because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will you pay higher rates, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you fines and jail time. You could then be forced to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Michigan motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Good drivers pay better prices - Careful drivers receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Even a single moving violation may cause rates to rise by as much as twenty percent. Drivers with flagrant violations like reckless driving or DUI may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
The information below illustrates how violations and accidents raise Chevy Equinox annual premium costs for each age group. The information is based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Insurance loss probability for a Chevy Equinox - Auto insurance companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle to determine a price that will be profitable for them. Models that have higher loss trends will have higher rates.
The data below shows the collected loss data for Chevy Equinox vehicles. For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is represented as 100. Values that are below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers above 100 point to more losses or tendency to have higher losses.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Equinox 4dr 2WD||82||86||74||101||104||93|
|Chevrolet Equinox 4dr 4WD||84||88||85||89||93||81|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying insurance from Detroit insurance agencies
A lot of people would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that A good thing about getting online price quotes is you may find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
By using this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to agents in your area who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to you. You can find the lowest rates AND a local agent. If you have a need to get a price quote from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Deciding on an company should depend on more than just a cheap price. A good agent in Detroit will have answers to these questions.
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Detroit?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Does their agency support local causes in Detroit?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
If you want a reputable insurance agent or broker, it's helpful to know the different types of agents and how they can quote your rates. Detroit agents are classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. These agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
The following are Detroit exclusive agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
Michelle Sims - State Farm Insurance Agent
24970 W Outer Dr - Lincoln Park, MI 48146 - (313) 928-1348 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by any specific company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and get you the best rates possible. If they find a cheaper price, your agent can just switch to a different company which requires no work on your part. When comparing insurance prices, you will want to contact multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Detroit that can give you rate quotes.
C B Irwin Insurance
2357 W Grand Blvd - Detroit, MI 48208 - (313) 894-2144 - View Map
Cheap auto insurance premiums are possible
As you quote Detroit car insurance, it's a bad idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
We just covered many tips how you can compare Chevy Equinox insurance premium rates in Detroit. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Detroit car insurance, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with an unexpected company. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
To read more, feel free to visit the resources below:
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Rates for a Honda Civic? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Postal Workers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)