It’s amazing but most auto insurance policyholders have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Consumers in Michigan could cut their rates by as much as 65% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they underestimate the rate savings if they switch to a new company.
The most effective way to get cheaper BMW X1 insurance is to compare prices once a year from different companies that sell auto insurance in Detroit.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how auto insurance works and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates such as traffic violations and poor credit rating can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies. View insurance agents
- Compare the quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in Detroit. If you can save some money and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of this process is that you’ll want to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to compare as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
The majority of larger companies give prices for coverage online. Comparing BMW X1 insurance rates online is quite easy as all you need to do is type in the coverage amounts you desire as requested by the quote form. When the form is submitted, the company’s rating system obtains information on your driving record and credit history and gives you a price quote.
Using the web to get rate quotes for BMW X1 insurance in Detroit helps simplify price comparisons, and it is important to perform this step if you are searching for the most affordable possible premiums on auto insurance.
To get comparison pricing now, check out the auto insurance providers below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you complete the form with the insurance coverages identical to your current policy. Doing this assures you are getting rate quotes using the exact same coverages.
The following companies offer comparison quotes in Detroit, MI. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Detroit, MI, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance is not optional in Michigan
Despite the high insurance cost for a BMW X1 in Detroit, insuring your vehicle serves several important purposes.
First, just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your BMW X1 has a lienholder, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your BMW at a much higher rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
Third, insurance safeguards not only your BMW X1 but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays more than $825 a year so you should quote rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Lower rate quotes by taking advantage of these seven discounts
Not too many consumers would say auto insurance is affordable, but you can get discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before being credited.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new may earn a small discount since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Own a Home – Just being a homeowner can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you can afford to pay the entire bill instead of paying each month you can avoid the installment charge.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Detroit car insurance quote. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Maintaining low annual mileage may allow you to get substantially lower premium rates.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
As is typical with insurance, many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts should help reduce your auto insurance premiums.
Companies and a selection of discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for defensive driving training, anti-theft, good driver, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, and multiple policy.
- American Family may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, accident-free, bundled insurance, good driver, good student, and defensive driver.
- AAA has discounts for education and occupation, pay-in-full, multi-car, good student, and good driver.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-theft, defensive driver, seat belt use, driver training, daytime running lights, and membership and employees.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for low natural disaster claims, accident-free, annual mileage, location of vehicle, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include alternative fuel, teen driver, switch companies, electronic funds transfer, good student, and early shopping.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, multi-policy, online quote discount, good student, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
If you want the cheapest BMW X1 rate quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies everywhere. To see providers that offer discounts in Michigan, click this link.
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
Certain consumers just want to talk to an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Licensed agents can help you build your policy and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this quick form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Detroit who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don’t have to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. If you have a need to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Picking the best provider is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Before buying a policy in Detroit, get answers to these questions.
- How long has their agency been open in Detroit?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Does their agency support local causes in Detroit?
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents to choose from. Insurance agencies in Detroit can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it’s important to point out the difference in how they write coverage since it may influence which agent you choose.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
These agents are contracted to one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Some consumers prefer to use the same exclusive agent partially due to the brand and solid financial strength.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Detroit that can give you price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Shauna Johnson
18711 Grand River Ave – Detroit, MI 48223 – (313) 272-2020 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Ago Benavides
3570 W Vernor Hwy – Detroit, MI 48216 – (313) 849-2000 – View Map
- State Farm – Eric Huffman
3031 W Grand Blvd #568 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-3172 – View Map
Agents that elect to be independent often have affiliation with several companies so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, we highly recommend that you check rates from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with companies you’ve never heard of that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below are Detroit independent insurance agents that can give you price quote information.
- Thomas L Whatley Agency Inc
14710 Puritan Ave – Detroit, MI 48227 – (313) 272-5955 – View Map
- Midwest Underwriters Insurance
19640 Harper Ave – Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236 – (313) 884-8600 – View Map
- Cagwin Insurance Agency
3031 W Grand Blvd #320 – Detroit, MI 48202 – (313) 875-9147 – View Map
Car insurance coverage basics
Understanding the coverages of a car insurance policy can be of help when determining the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Collision coverage – This coverage will pay to fix damage to your X1 resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as colliding with a tree, crashing into a ditch, sideswiping another vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole and backing into a parked car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your X1 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – This coverage provides protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your BMW X1.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Michigan limits are 20/40/10), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
Comprehensive car insurance – This covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like damage from flooding, hitting a deer, falling objects and rock chips in glass. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability – This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 20/40/10 that means you have $20,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $40,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $10,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like legal defense fees, structural damage, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but buy higher limits if possible. Michigan requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/10 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Coverage for medical expenses – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses such as ambulance fees, rehabilitation expenses, nursing services and funeral costs. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants as well as if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Compare but don’t skimp
When you buy Detroit car insurance online, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
People leave their current company for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high prices and even high rates after DUI convictions. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Some insurance companies do not provide rates over the internet and many times these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent agents. Lower-priced BMW X1 insurance in Detroit can be bought from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection.
Additional auto insurance information is available below:
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Homeowners in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Postal Workers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Quotes for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Nurses in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High Risk Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Hybrid Vehicles in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)