Searching for low-cost insurance for your Ford Explorer in Michigan could be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks to make it easier. There are more efficient ways to find insurance online so we’re going to tell you the quickest way to compare rates for a new or used Ford and find the lowest possible price from both online companies and Detroit agents.
It’s shocking but a large majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for well over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Drivers in Michigan can save nearly $3,836 each year just by comparing rates, but they feel it’s too difficult to save money by comparing rate quotes.
You should take the time to check insurance prices occasionally due to the fact that insurance prices tend to go up over time. Even if you think you had the lowest quotes on Ford Explorer insurance in Detroit on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about insurance because you’re about to learn the right way to buy cheaper Ford Explorer insurance in Detroit.
Which Ford Explorer insurance is cheapest in Detroit?
Lowering your auto insurance rates is surprisingly easy. All you need to do is take a few minutes comparing rate quotes online with multiple companies.
The auto insurance companies shown below provide quotes in Detroit, MI. If your goal is to find cheap auto insurance in Detroit, MI, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
Ford Explorer insurance coverage information
The rate information below highlights different insurance coverage prices for Ford Explorer models. Learning a little about how car insurance prices are calculated can help drivers make decisions when shopping your coverage around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$660||$1084||$932||$56||$280||$3,012||$251|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$660||$1084||$932||$56||$280||$3,012||$251|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$660||$1084||$932||$56||$280||$3,012||$251|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$660||$1084||$932||$56||$280||$3,012||$251|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$744||$1320||$932||$56||$280||$3,332||$278|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$744||$1320||$932||$56||$280||$3,332||$278|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$744||$1320||$932||$56||$280||$3,332||$278|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$744||$1320||$932||$56||$280||$3,332||$278|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$744||$1320||$932||$56||$280||$3,332||$278|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Michigan minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in specific Detroit garaging location which can increase or decrease prices considerably.
The example below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can raise or lower Ford Explorer insurance costs for different categories of driver ages. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Reckless driving habits raise insurance rates
The information below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault fender-benders can impact Ford Explorer car insurance rates for different categories of driver ages. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Age, gender, and Ford Explorer insurance
The information below illustrates the comparison of Ford Explorer yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The information is based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Protect your Ford Explorer and other assets
Despite the high cost, paying for insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Michigan these limits are 20/40/10 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Ford, almost all lenders will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Ford at a more expensive rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves both your Ford and your personal assets. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your Explorer greatly outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $700 annually so compare rate quotes at every renewal to save money.
Smart Consumers Can Cut Insurance Costs
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. If you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower auto insurance prices.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
Do you really need the extra coverages? – There are quite a few add-on coverages that you can buy if you aren’t diligent. Coverages like coverage for rental cars, accidental death, and extra life insurance coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas when buying your policy, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
Liability insurance is peace of mind – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when you are responsible for damages caused by your negligence. It provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
Deter theft and pay less – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can save you some money. Anti-theft devices like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all hinder your car from being stolen.
Never allow your policy to lapse – Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a sure-fire way to pay more for auto insurance. In addition to paying higher premiums, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Michigan DMV.
Auto insurance rates and age – Youthful drivers in Michigan are statistically shown to be less responsible when behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. If you’ve ever had to add a teen driver onto your auto insurance can be quite pricey. Older people are proven to be safer behind the wheel, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are safer drivers.
The following data uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Discounts for multiple policies – Many insurance companies afford a discount for people who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.
Ford Explorer statistical loss data – Insurance companies use claims history as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that tend to have high amounts or severity of claims will have higher premium rates. The table below outlines the collected loss data for Ford Explorer vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles compiled together is considered to be 100. Values that are below 100 indicate better than average losses, while numbers above 100 point to more frequent losses or tendency to have higher losses.
|Specific Ford Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Explorer 4dr 2WD||80||90||79||75||70||82|
|Ford Explorer 4dr 4WD||94||94||97||75||70||85|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
A conclusion for your car insurance search
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, drivers have reduced full coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Cheaper car insurance in Detroit is available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these small, regional companies work with local independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions, high prices or poor customer service. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right car insurance provider can be pretty painless.
Steps to finding the cheapest rates for Ford Explorer insurance in Detroit
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find cheaper Ford Explorer insurance is to do a yearly price comparison from insurers that insure vehicles in Detroit.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that cause rate increases such as speeding tickets, careless driving and a negative credit history can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Second, get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple companies. Click to view companies
- Third, compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find better rates and buy the policy, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current agent or company of your intention to cancel the current policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new company or agent. Be sure to safely store the proof of insurance paperwork above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use identical coverages on every price quote and and to get prices from every insurance company. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota RAV4 in Detroit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Nurses in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Good Drivers in Detroit? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Detroit Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Detroit Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- How Much Does Car Insurance Go Up After a Speeding Ticket? (DetroitInsure.com)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)